starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plant Based Meat???? Isn't it all?

Default Plant Based Meat???? Isn't it all?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip, likely you've touched on this in a prior podcast, but it just hit me the other day as I bought a 4lb tri-tip and some filets for the week this might make a great 3min clip. Pretty sure I'm confused on this whole plant based meat thing or maybe my understanding of biology is off. I think my steaks and tri-tip are fully plant based, simply processed differently, but apparently there's some horseshit about gluing together a bunch of weeds, dying them reddish and calling it "plant-based meat." Have you seen this nonsense in your neck of the woods?

No, because I live in Texas. You poor bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, because I live in Texas. You poor bastard.
    Is there a vegan Texas Cafe style chili? No! I did not think so. What about a vegan friendly margarita, that has no meat in it.

funny, the National Cattlemen's Beef Association should actually sue over the lingo: "Plant-based Meat".

Its false advertising really.

Cattle, and most live stock I can think of, are (mostly) omnivores really. The original Plant Based Meat.

Fulcrum, it is not necessary for you to disagree with everything everybody else says. It's very tiresome and quite pointless. But since we're here, please tell us about the animal protein consumption of cattle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Fulcrum, it is not necessary for you to disagree with everything everybody else says. It's very tiresome and quite pointless. But since we're here, please tell us about the animal protein consumption of cattle.
    sorry, i meant to type "herbivores", which change the whole meaning of my post.

i got those fancy scientific terms mixed up. (male and female are tough ones these days two).

i was going to simply type "cows are vegetarians therefore plant-based-meat",

but then they drink milk (animal product/animal origin) as calves???

and then the whole vegan vs vegetarian vs pescetarian terminology makes my head spin.

sorry to be of trouble

#teammeat!

I think plant-based meat is rubbish, but I do think if they ever created test-tube meat - i.e. cloned steak or whatever, grown in a lab - that tasted the same and was nutritionally the same as what you get from killing an animal I would switch to it.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I think plant-based meat is rubbish, but I do think if they ever created test-tube meat - i.e. cloned steak or whatever, grown in a lab - that tasted the same and was nutritionally the same as what you get from killing an animal I would switch to it.
    For what reason?

“Plant based meat” is like a “dick based vagina”. No thank you.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    For what reason?
    I moved to the countryside about 13 years ago, and live in fields surrounded by cows, sheep and pigs and have my own chickens and geese for eggs.

Once I saw these animals up close, I got a much different view of them than I did when I just bought parts of them off a supermarket shelf. I've bottle fed lambs, I've heard the mother-cows moo themselves hoarse for 24 hours when they are separated from their calves etc.

I'll eat meat while there is no alternative, but once there is I'm not sure I'd feel happy having an animal killed for me when identical alternatives exist.

(Obviously if everyone did this it would mean massive changes to global agriculture etc. Not underestimating that)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast