starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plant Based Meat???? Isn't it all?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ruminant animals take sub-optimal food (plants) and make it into delicious nutritious meat. Doesn't get more natural than that...

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I moved to the countryside about 13 years ago, and live in fields surrounded by cows, sheep and pigs and have my own chickens and geese for eggs.

Once I saw these animals up close, I got a much different view of them than I did when I just bought parts of them off a supermarket shelf. I've bottle fed lambs, I've heard the mother-cows moo themselves hoarse for 24 hours when they are separated from their calves etc.

I'll eat meat while there is no alternative, but once there is I'm not sure I'd feel happy having an animal killed for me when identical alternatives exist.

(Obviously if everyone did this it would mean massive changes to global agriculture etc. Not underestimating that)
    Mammals are cute, I feel you there, but what about chickens? I'd still eat a chicken burger. I don't think the lives they live in a decently-sized coop could be much worse than out in the fields, and are probably better. From what my dad has told me, breaking a chicken neck isn't a long, drawn-out process.

Quote Originally Posted by GHOSTWOLF View Post
    ...From what my dad has told me, breaking a chicken neck isn't a long, drawn-out process.
    Friend of mine worked a chicken ranch for a summer, and developed a hate for the creatures. Loading them into the back of a truck for transport was particularly nasty. Led to rough handling, and their heads would easily pop off when being tossed.

Not fit to print on the egg carton.

Mammals are cute, I feel you there, but what about chickens? I'd still eat a chicken burger. I don't think the lives they live in a decently-sized coop could be much worse than out in the fields, and are probably better. From what my dad has told me, breaking a chicken neck isn't a long, drawn-out process.
    I've kept chickens for 7 or 8 years as well. I was pretty contemptuous of them when I only knew them as a consumer - probably from hearing stories about how long they can live without a head etc.

Since owning them (and geese, both just for eggs) I've come to realise they they're underrated as animals. I'm not saying they're as smart as dogs, but dogs appear cleverer than they are because they are so tuned into people and their behaviour and so eager to please. Chickens, and geese in particular, don't really give a fuck if you are happy with them or not. You can tell a dog "No" and it will not do something. I tell a goose "No" and it interprets that as "Not while you're looking".

I get your point about it probably being better or about the same as in the wild, but that depends on the chicken. Chickens specifically bread for meat are eaten at about 10 weeks. Chickens can live a good few years naturally unless a predator or something gets them.

Also, I've had to cull a few chickens as well and unless your Dad is loads better than me at neck wringing, it can be a drawn out process.

Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post

Also, I've had to cull a few chickens as well and unless your Dad is loads better than me at neck wringing, it can be a drawn out process.
    Why not use an axe?

the horror , , ,
    the horror , , ,
    #where's Brando

Ages ago I asked my great grandmother what was for dinner to which she responded chicken. Then I watched as she casually strolled out to the pen, went in and grabbed a chicken. It was over that fast. The other chickens didn't even notice there was one less. Best display of skills I've ever seen. Of course then I had to pluck the thing which was not so fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    Why not use an axe?
    My granddad used a hatchet, and once when my sister and I were kids and visiting, he didn't tie them down. The first bird proceeded to literally take off running, around the garage and into the front yard and nearly across the street, a good 75 ft. I've always had a very crystal clear understanding of the phrase "running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off".

As to the whole fake meat discussion, this is one thing I'll pass on - EU gives go-ahead for eating WORMS . Not a meat replacement at all, nor will I consider it as a viable protein source.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think the lives they live in a decently-sized coop could be much worse than out in the fields, and are probably better.
    Having raised chickens, the difference between keeping them in a coop of any size and letting them free range doing the day is quite extreme. Even a large coop quickly becomes a barren, lifeless, landscape covered with chicken shit. Chickens are hunters (at least when it comes to anything mouse size and smaller) and they love to roam, scratch for bugs, eat grass and do dust baths. To do that, they need the room to free range.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    My granddad used a hatchet, and once when my sister and I were kids and visiting, he didn't tie them down. The first bird proceeded to literally take off running, around the garage and into the front yard and nearly across the street, a good 75 ft. I've always had a very crystal clear understanding of the phrase "running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off".
    If after you chop off the heads, you whack the body against the stump a couple of times, they don't run around.

EU gives go-ahead for eating WORMS

Does this mean we can start doing gobad instead of gomad?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12