starting strength gym

Thread: Forbidden to Squat--May I increase number deadlift sets?

Default Forbidden to Squat--May I increase number deadlift sets?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach,

I am 76 years old and quit working the novice program about a year ago. I want to start it up again.

I will be having full replacement of my right (bone on bone) knee either in May or June, 2021. About 1 year later, I will have the left knee done.

My surgeon has told me under no circumstances to perform squats with the bar. I have also seen at least one of your comments affirming that doing so prior to surgery could complicate the procedure.

I have read all of your books and understand how difficult the deadlift is--(thus only one set).

I also realize that deadlifting is NOT squatting and cannot, by itself, build strength in the same way that working the novice program does.

That having been said, I would appreciate your thoughts on my working the program...BUT...substituting 1 or 2 extra working sets of the deadlift in place of the 3 working sets of the squat.

I would also appreciate your own assessment of what my doctor thinks--i.e., that the deadlift is not nearly as hard on the knee as is the squat--due to not bending it under the heavy weight.

My thanks as always,

Russ

I think you should have both knees done at the same time, this month.