starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double overhand

Default Double overhand

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip

I realise that when deadlifting with a double overhand grip, grip strength eventually becomes the limiting factor in how much someone can lift, and that to progress further the hook grip or mixed grip will be required. But why does this plateuing of grip strength happen? I dont understand it.

The reason im asking is because my double overhand deadlift hasnt been improving lately...ive reached a point (160 kg) where it just rolls out of my hand after the 2nd or 3rd rep, and its not improving. I keep trying to make it improve but its just plateaued. So i know its time to start using the hook grip or mixed...but i just want to understand why this happens.

Thanks a lot.

Let's think through this: By what mechanism does strength improve?

Do your warmups with double overhand and your working sets with an alternate or hook grip.

Frank: We're thinking here. Hypertrophy is the mechanism. Do you see a hypertrophy bottleneck anywhere in the gripping mechanism?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Frank: We're thinking here. Hypertrophy is the mechanism. Do you see a hypertrophy bottleneck anywhere in the gripping mechanism?
    I would say that the muscles responsible for grip are significantly smaller than the rest of the muscle groups involved with pulling several hundred pounds off the floor.

Good. Where is the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Good. Where is the OP?
    Must have gotten sucked into one of those voting machines. I hear things disappear in there.

Im here. I didnt answer because i didnt know what the answer was. So im guessing these muscles are located in the hand and forearms? and because they are relatively small, they reach their peak strength and size much sooner than muscles in the back, glutes etc? so once they reach their peak strength and size, they cant hold onto the bar anymore at a certain weight and this is why it rolls out?

I think I'm at the point where I need more volume to drive hypertrophy and strength gain, too. How about doing a volume day at ~70% intensity and one intensity day. Using straps/hook/alternate on intensity day and double over hand on volume. I think you should be able to hang on to the lighter loads on volume day, and it would help your grip.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Stigsrud View Post
    I think I'm at the point where I need more volume to drive hypertrophy and strength gain, too. How about doing a volume day at ~70% intensity and one intensity day. Using straps/hook/alternate on intensity day and double over hand on volume. I think you should be able to hang on to the lighter loads on volume day, and it would help your grip.
    I like volume day to be at 52% intensity and 138% volume. Studies have shown etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast