starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Intermediate

Exclamation Deadlift Intermediate

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Rip,

I have been doing the program for a couple of years. Injuries, resets, etc.

I have been using the Texas method for deadlifting. For example 430x5x3 Wednesday, PRx5 on Saturday with success until recently where I am stalled. The last three weeks of PR attempts, 507.5x5, 510x1, 510x3. I have been waiting 10 min or so between attempts to see if I can get all the reps. Should I keep grinding for 5 or accept the lifts I get and try to keep going up? How dogmatic are the fihves to future gains? Any other assistance exercises I should be doing? Rack pulls?

Thanks,

Mike

There is no version of the Texas Method that calls for sets-across deadlifts.

Well... I had read the grey book Practical Programming for Strength Training and interpreted page 115 as applicable to the deadlift. The examples on page 118 and on have power snatches. Page 125 had SLDL with sets across.

So what would you recommend I do for the purposes of improving my deadlift. Monday Rack Pulls 1x5, Wednesday Power Clean, Friday Heavy DL 1x5??

The word "deadlift" does not appear on page 115. Your interpretation notwithstanding, I recommend that you improve your deadlift by adding 5 pounds to the set of 5 called for in the program and lifting it successfully. If you are legitimately stuck, and you probably aren't since you haven't been doing the actual program, I recommend that you switch to rack pulls and haltings, as discussed in the book.

God damn. Mark knows the exact wording of every page.

Chuck Norris tried to argue intermediate, but Mark would not let him.

Unlike Churchill, I have a copy of the book.

Chuck Norris tried to argue intermediate, but Mark would not let him.

That’s a good one. Got a good laugh out of me,
    More Chuck Norris - Rip references are mandatory.

starting strength coach development program
    I was doing the program methodically until I got stuck at 500lb, got injured, reset, got stuck again and then tried to apply the periodization/volume approach to deadlifting; which I know understand is not part of the Texas method. I am 43, 5'11" 230lbs. I read this article Rack Pulls 101 | Nick Delgadillo and pulled 515x5 from the rack mid shin last week and then got through 510x5 on my heavy deadlift day yesterday. I am going to keep at it with 5lb increases on the rack pulls and 2.5 lb on DL. Where would you expect an LP to end in my case? It was my experience that 5lbs increments was just stuck to the floor and lifting heavy twice a week was not progressing.