starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "A Time for Choosing"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by LuciusSulla View Post
    Hey Rip
    I’ve just seen a video of Reagan’s ‘A Time for Choosing’ and was wondering if you had any libertarian and/or conservative books you would recommend to someone who is now interested in these topics, thanks.
    There is an excellent discussion between Douglas Murray and Jordan Peterson that's just gone up on Youtube that is worth watching if you are interested in these subjects.

I've successfully turned a few people on to libertarian economics with Milton Friedman's epic 1980 documentary series Free to Choose. The entire series can be viewed for free at the link. It's seems inconceivable but it was originally aired on PBS.

The first half of each episode is Friedman dissecting a particular economic issue. The second half is of him engaged in an academic debate/discussion of the episode at the University of Chicago. The discussion is amazing in that it really demonstrates Friedman's clarity and the persuasiveness of his arguments.

As an added bonus, here's a well known clip from an interview Friedman did with bleeding heart (though extremely respectful) Phil Donahue. The full interview is here.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    I've successfully turned a few people on to libertarian economics with Milton Friedman's epic 1980 documentary series Free to Choose. The entire series can be viewed for free at the link. It's seems inconceivable but it was originally aired on PBS.

The first half of each episode is Friedman dissecting a particular economic issue. The second half is of him engaged in an academic debate/discussion of the episode at the University of Chicago. The discussion is amazing in that it really demonstrates Friedman's clarity and the persuasiveness of his arguments.

As an added bonus, here's a well known clip from an interview Friedman did with bleeding heart (though extremely respectful) Phil Donahue. The full interview is here.
    Thank you I appreciate it

Anyone care to accurately define libertarian ?

I’d define it as some form of mysticism. It’s devoid of any root. Mostly floating abstracts, whims and sky castles. It’s often confused with Austrian economics, but Austrian economics is a well defined special subject, although Mises did include his rather hopeless attempt at philosophy which he called praxiology which I doubt anyone actually understands.

Rothbard was the father of libertarianism, but even then it was a very loose kind of idea. More like Marx, in trying to make an economic model the basis of a political system is just weird. Putting cart before horse.

Libertarianism is a path going nowhere. Austrian economics is possibly the best form of economic understanding we currently have.

A yearly reading of the ‘Declaration of Independence,’ the ‘Constitution,’ and the ‘Gettysburg Address,’ along with an occasional peruse of the ‘Federalist Papers’ will anchor you in our Founders’ thoughts and vision.

This also happens to be an antiseptic to the leftists that like to use partial quotes or references to the constitution because you can just ask them when was the last time they read the text of the constitution and explain that you read it once a year. It’s like knowledge garlic to the lefty vampires.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post

I’d define it as some form of mysticism. It’s devoid of any root. Mostly floating abstracts, whims and sky castles. It’s often confused with Austrian economics, but Austrian economics is a well defined special subject, although Mises did include his rather hopeless attempt at philosophy which he called praxiology which I doubt anyone actually understands.

Rothbard was the father of libertarianism, but even then it was a very loose kind of idea. More like Marx, in trying to make an economic model the basis of a political system is just weird. Putting cart before horse.

Libertarianism is a path going nowhere. Austrian economics is possibly the best form of economic understanding we currently have.
    If you think libertarianism is an economic model, you really don't know what you're talking about here. Video?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you think libertarianism is an economic model, you really don't know what you're talking about here. Video?
    On the contrary I know exactly what I’m talking about. I didn’t say it was an economic model, I said an economic model was being incorrectly used to create a political model. Can you accurately define it or not ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Taking responsibility for your actions. All of them, everywhere and allways.

Libertarianism is commonly understood as a system under which the individual is free to do anything they wish to do that does not involve force or fraud committed upon anyone else, or that interferes with another individual's right to do the same. Such a silly idea, devoid of a root, a floating abstract, a whim. I leave you alone and you leave me alone to the greatest possible extent. Craziness.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Libertarianism is commonly understood as a system under which the individual is free to do anything they wish to do that does not involve force or fraud committed upon anyone else, or that interferes with another individual's right to do the same. Such a silly idea, devoid of a root, a floating abstract, a whim. I leave you alone and you leave me alone to the greatest possible extent. Craziness.
    OK. So that’s the NAP. On its own it’s a floating abstract.

So, what prevents anyone from initiating force, or to obtain justice in the case of an initiation of force ?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast