Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Central Nervous System stress with heavy deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    "fenomena"?
    Sorry, english is not my first language

Quote Originally Posted by ReconquistaBarbell View Post
    Not quite. CNS fatigue is an acctual fenomena that is associated with high metabolic stress. pH levels change to a point where signaling from the CNS becomes impaired.

It however, has nothing to do with what some lifters call "CNS fatigue", which is a way they found to describe the sensation of fatigue that is not immediately associated with muscle soreness.
    Like an epileptic episode.

I remember reading Simmons’s stuff about the drawbacks of chronically lifting at over 90% of max and it’s purported negative effects on CNS. But if I recall correctly this was in regards to super elite strength athletes with superior genetics and exogenous enhancement. So I assumed it did not apply to my poverty deadlift lol.

It doesn't apply to theirs either.

Quote Originally Posted by ReconquistaBarbell View Post
    Not quite. CNS fatigue is an acctual fenomena that is associated with high metabolic stress. pH levels change to a point where signaling from the CNS becomes impaired.
    Umm. No. "CNS fatigue" is not an actual phenomenon--at least not a clinical phenomenon observed in living humans. Maybe you can find this term in a third-tier medical journal to describe a general effect in vitro. In the real world there are specific terms for specific states where specific neuron populations or parts of the CNS are metabolically stressed, such as ischemic stroke, toxic or metabolic encephalopathy, or epileptic seizures. Each of these clinical phenomena suggest specific pathology or insult to the homeostasis of the CNS.

Physical exertion or overexertion in a healthy human does not and cannot produce "CNS fatigue" unless you define it as a psychosomatic phenomenon.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dfclark68 View Post
    Umm. No. "CNS fatigue" is not an actual phenomenon--at least not a clinical phenomenon observed in living humans. Maybe you can find this term in a third-tier medical journal to describe a general effect in vitro. In the real world there are specific terms for specific states where specific neuron populations or parts of the CNS are metabolically stressed, such as ischemic stroke, toxic or metabolic encephalopathy, or epileptic seizures. Each of these clinical phenomena suggest specific pathology or insult to the homeostasis of the CNS.

Physical exertion or overexertion in a healthy human does not and cannot produce "CNS fatigue" unless you define it as a psychosomatic phenomenon.
    CNS Fatigue is CrossFit speak for "overtraining" or "under-recovery", but the addition of "sciencey" sounding terminology makes it much more interesting than overtraining.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123