starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Central Nervous System stress with heavy deadlifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where did this sillyass "CNS stress" bullshit come from? Any ideas?
    It came from lab coat geeks and advertising agencies looking to unnecessarily codify, brand and sell “stuff”. “CNS fatigue” = STRESS manifesting as low systemic biological energy requiring a more relevant CNS procedure to RECOVER - Carbs, Netflix and Sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post

There are times when I will deadlift heavy and the next day feel very fatigued. This is usually rectified by a larger than average meal. A big steak and some extra carbs usually work best. .
    Always works for me. I have a little nap too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ23 View Post
    Lifters were jealous of runners having "burn out" as an imaginary excuse out of training so they invented their own.
    Hahahahaha!! Probably true.

Also the “expert” MD’s who think 135lbs is too heavy so it must be too heavy for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Where did this sillyass "CNS stress" bullshit come from? Any ideas?
    I essentially agree with your critiques of MDs, but I've never heard this particular non-sense coming from my peers. Not by mouth and certainly not in print.

It's an internet fitness industry term, a way to excuse shitty programming.

It goes hand in hand with over diagnosis, usually in the interests of people who then claim to be experts in treating these things (for cash). If you have “CNS fatigue” there might be a chance to get some money out of you for some whacky treatment. But plain old tiredness, well that just needs sleep food and less stress.

I think it was Chuck Norris who invented the term CNS since no one was there to stop him

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    It came from lab coat geeks and advertising agencies looking to unnecessarily codify, brand and sell “stuff”. “CNS fatigue” = STRESS manifesting as low systemic biological energy requiring a more relevant CNS procedure to RECOVER - Carbs, Netflix and Sleep.
    Not quite. CNS fatigue is an acctual fenomena that is associated with high metabolic stress. pH levels change to a point where signaling from the CNS becomes impaired.

It however, has nothing to do with what some lifters call "CNS fatigue", which is a way they found to describe the sensation of fatigue that is not immediately associated with muscle soreness.

I remember reading an article that suggested Louie Simmons may have had something to do with the popularization of the idea. I also recall reading about some studies that implied CNS fatigue was real, although not very significant (lasting about 30 minutes), wasn't only caused by heavy barbell training, and that the central nervous system follows the SRA cycle along with everything else.

Whenever I heard someone talk about "frying their CNS" I assumed they were just looking for an excuse not to pull heavy.

starting strength coach development program
    "fenomena"?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast