starting strength gym

Thread: Helping a 17 yo with one arm

Default Helping a 17 yo with one arm

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I checked the forums for this first, and agree this has to be on a case by case basis. A friend approached me to see if his son could use my home gym to learn to lift. He is motivated, plays varsity soccer and participates in track and field, specifically the high jump and long jump. He was born with his arm developed to include his elbow and about 3-4 inches of a forearm. I came here before doing anything to get advice if I should let him try using just the barbell to see if he can keep it stable, or just refer to a professional, not a PT.

Thanks in advance

David

What did you find? Can he stabilized the bar on his back?

Quote Originally Posted by g8rrph View Post
    He was born with his arm developed to include his elbow and about 3-4 inches of a forearm.
    This might help for deadlifting "Aldridge Arm" Harness & Strap

I checked the forums for this first, and agree this has to be on a case by case basis. A friend approached me to see if his son could use my home gym to learn to lift. He is motivated, plays varsity soccer and participates in track and field, specifically the high jump and long jump. He was born with his arm developed to include his elbow and about 3-4 inches of a forearm. I came here before doing anything to get advice if I should let him try using just the barbell to see if he can keep it stable, or just refer to a professional, not a PT.

Thanks in advance

David
    There is a guy I follow on instagram "Paralyzed_monster" who squats, benches, and deadlifts with one arm. He squats with a sling, he pulls with a strap, and benches with one arm. I don't know the extent of his injury, but he moves an impressive amount of weight. Might want to get in touch with him...

He could use a Marrs Bar for squatting
    I have one and it’s a great product that allows a low bar squat without holding the bar with your hands

It’s an expensive bar but very well designed and I love using mine

Quote Originally Posted by kpsmiley View Post
    This might help for deadlifting "Aldridge Arm" Harness & Strap
    I thought a strap for squatting too. The amount of load on the arm is considerable but a lot lower than a deadlift. Also the force can be vectored to push the bar into the rear deltoid shelf. I think the two sides can be balanced and possibly surprisingly stable.

Just speculating. Wishing the best!

I think this is a perfect situation for using a Safety Squat Bar, Black Widow Training Gear makes a good SSB at a fair price and there are many others out there just stay away from the Titan Fitness SSB. There is a current player for the Seahawks born with only one hand but has an elbow a partial forearm also he used an attachment on his forearm that appeared to clamp around the bar to do the 225 for reps at the combine something similar should also work for Deadlifting. There is a Nike Ad featuring him that shows him doing dips as a teenager but it's shown in a quick cut so be ready to pause it. Hoping this helps the Young Man.

He can just get his "nub" as he calls it behind the bar to secure it.

starting strength coach development program

Thanks in advance

David
    You are the professional he needs. I'm quite certain this board will be all the back up you need. You can't stop a determined kid.