starting strength gym

Thread: Adjustments for shoulder injury, and questions on "One Lift Per Day" training

Default Adjustments for shoulder injury, and questions on "One Lift Per Day" training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

I did the Novice LP for about 9 months in 2017 (bro-splits prior) and I am now coming back to training after a few years off.

I am 45, 5'6, 265lbs (around 25% bodyfat, had faint abs at 225lbs)

20' arms/calves
    54' chest
    40' waist
    32' thigh

My old numbers prior to injury: OHP 225, Bench 315, Squat 405, DL 495 (I have OCD, so the numbers HAD to make sense proportionate to each other)

Last year, while helping a friend move, I tweaked the connective tissue between my bicep and deltoid and now have difficulty curling anything more than a few pounds on that side, or racking the empty bar to a higher pin even. I often find that it throbs when I am trying to sleep and is very stiff when trying to rotate it. It doesn't feel stable on the bench press anymore... and was considering one of those Mark Bell slingshot sleeve things for when the shoulder just gives.

I can also not get my hands far enough behind my shoulders to get into a high bar squat position, let alone a back squat. This has been ongoing for the whole year. I still do my pressing movements but with a lot of pain and I wasn't really all that flexible before.

I am using straps with handles on them to rest the bar in the proper low bar position so that my hands can be in front of my shoulders without additional pain. I just try to keep it on a shelf and pray it doesn't roll.

I have noticed that I just don't recover like a 40 year old anymore, so I have reset my poundages and worked back up to OHP 165, Bench 255, Squat 345 and DL 435.

I have also switched up my training as to only do one main lift per day. I noted that the only reference to this style of training I could find in all three books was in PPFST(3rd Edition) p158 and it is done as a 5/3/1, 4 days a week. Why is this not really given as an option for anybody?

I am currently rotating a 4 day cycle, But sometimes a take an extra day here or there if I feel I need to rest and the "week" could run 8 days.

M - OHP
    T - Squat
    W - Bench
    T - DL

F - OHP (superset with Pulldowns)
    S - Squat

s REST

M - Bench
    T - DL
    W -OHP
    T - Squat

F - Bench (superset with Rows)
    S - DL (warmed up with a few sets of squats at 70-80% or 5RM)

s REST

I find I can recover from these sessions better than I was on the novice LP. Is this atypical?
    I have my own equipment, but I also have 6 kids and a busy life so I only have about an hour every day.
    Is there any downside to training this way? It seems I could easily taper off the intensity on the Friday/Saturday when I can't progress, or drop down to 4 days. BUT, should I not be training this way? Is it not enough recovery?

I know I need to slim down a bit, but I don't want to lose my strength either.
    AND what the hell am I going to do about this shoulder? Doc just says it's strained... and to rest it. Ok well that didn't work, but working it hurts like hell too.

Thanks for any suggestions.

What did the MRI say about the shoulder?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What did the MRI say about the shoulder?
    Until my in-network hospital allows for "elective" procedures, I am unable to schedule an appointment for an MRI. Since I'm in Montana, it's an 8 hour round trip drive to just go to a different hospital.

My doctor is only seeing patients by Zoom, so I can't get a proper examination for the time being. I just keep training and try to be as strict on my movements as I can.

It's kind of important to know what exactly is wrong with your shoulder.