starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tom Brady causing a rethinking?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Charles View Post
    Trying to emulate what an extraordinarily gifted person does is not useful. Figuring out what ordinary people need to do to optimally improve their performance is.
    What he said.

TB could train by playing chess and he'd still be TB. If I did, I'd still be me with mediocre chess skills. I don't plan on reevaluating "the importance we place in such lifts" until it's established that I can get stronger by watching someone else do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Rich View Post
    Well, here it is. Tom Brady’s workout routine. This is indeed his trainer

Tom Brady?s Super Bowl Workout Routine | Train Like a Celebrity | Men's Health - YouTube
    Here's one of the comments from the video:

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 3.37.05 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    Yes! I would like to see some guy deadlifting 300 go up against a guy deadlifting 600-700 or more, all while trying to protect a QB. I think he would find himself on the way to the hospital really quickly because he can't run fast as his 40 yard dash was about 5.3 seconds. His vertical was only 24.5 inches.

This idea that you can use bands as a lineman and still be alive after the game just does not make sense.
    Stronger doesn't win these battles all the time. I'll take toughness, coaching, and football skill every time. Speaking from 20 years experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon Spencer View Post
    Man, wouldn't it have been fun if they'd done it though? I wonder how long he'd tolerate getting pancaked every play before he told them to go back to deadlifting.
    Do you really think the Patriot's Oline is lifting heavy? Let alone deadlifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Nessland View Post
    Stronger doesn't win these battles all the time. I'll take toughness, coaching, and football skill every time. Speaking from 20 years experience.

Do you really think the Patriot's Oline is lifting heavy? Let alone deadlifting?

Deliberate practice, which most people don't actually know what it is, is extremely important and I suspect, despite other's comments on this thread, that is exactly what makes Brady so good. I am a very strong believer in deliberate practice and I believe I have read nearly every book in existence on deliberate practice. However, you take almost any D-1 College lineman (who now should have tens of thousands of reps of deliberate practice) and have him deadlift 600-700 v. a guy that deadlifts 300, you have a guy that is going to put someone in the hospital.

As to workouts, there are dozens and dozens of videos of players lifting (you can watch Larry Allen bench about 700 albeit it appears with some help) and I happen to know one of the strength coaches in the NFL - they don't do what we do here but they do squat, clean, bench, etc. And at one of the places where a ton of linemen train in the offseason, they deadlift - again, not what we do here but they are still doing it. At East Mississippi Junior College (where I believe more NFL players come from than any junior college in the nation), they squat, press, clean, etc. You take D.J. Jones who started there & then ended up at Ole Miss - he squats 650, cleans 330. Andrew Billings from Baylor deadlifts 705, benches 500, squats 805, cleans 400. J.J. Watt deadlifts 700, squats 700. Steve Weatherford is a punter and he deadlifts 550 and squats 475. I can go on with many more examples.

So, yes, I don't think, but I know these guys are squatting, bench pressing, pressing, cleaning, and deadlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    So, yes, I don't think, but I know these guys are squatting, bench pressing, pressing, cleaning, and deadlifting.
    No, Jay, they're not. They should be, but the majority of them are not doing anything heavy -- slows them down, you know. These guys are either outliers, or you have old data. Their S&C coaches aren't intelligent enough to see this as we do, and if everybody in the league agrees to keep their strength down to functional training levels, it works just fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    No, Jay, they're not. They should be, but the majority of them are not doing anything heavy -- slows them down, you know. These guys are either outliers, or you have old data. Their S&C coaches aren't intelligent enough to see this as we do, and if everybody in the league agrees to keep their strength down to functional training levels, it works just fine.
    <br>
    <br>Yeah, I know the crazy weightlifting slowing you down.&nbsp; <br><br>I guess some might be outliers but J.J. Watts, D.J. Jones, Ndamuong Suh, Conner McGovern (squats 750, cleans 400), Andrew Billings are all still in the NFL.&nbsp; Now, admittedly they don't do what we do here as some are not to depth on the squat and they add in quarter squats and "speed" squats and the technique is weird (some of the coaches say keep your head up in the squat) and I saw one of J.J. Watt squatting with no hands on the bar which seems like an injury waiting to happen, along with lunges while holding a ton of weight in a press overhead (ripped up a few shoulders in the nfl that way).&nbsp; And they do a bunch of other silly stuff that doesn't seem to add to strength.<br><br>I agree that if they focused on the main lifts they could probably be a lot stronger which is insane given what they are doing now.&nbsp; I guess if they did that some of these guys would deadlift 1000 pounds or something which is inhuman.&nbsp; Here's Billings in high school:&nbsp;Baylor 2013 DT Andrew Billings breaks Mark Henry's State Powerlifting Record - Our Daily Bears and&nbsp;https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QGiJckgUZU<br><br>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123