starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom Brady causing a rethinking?

Default Tom Brady causing a rethinking?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip,

So I know we traditionally prescribe big explosive movements/exercises (deadlift, cleans etc) so football players can hit and be able to take hits. I guess what’s shocking to me is that Brady has defied the logic, by not doing them ever over the past few years. Any hs/college/pro coach would be irate at his defiance!

And I know he isn’t taking as many hits or as hard of hits as younger guys, but you’d think as an older guy, he wouldn’t need to take as many or as powerful hits to go down for an extended period of time.

That to me seems nuts, and maybe we need to reevaluate the importance we place in such lifts? Which I love doing btw

You seem unfamiliar with D1 and pro-level S&C. Your suggestions have already been adopted. I guess it worked!

Quote Originally Posted by Sdewitt10 View Post
    Hi Rip,

So I know we traditionally prescribe big explosive movements/exercises (deadlift, cleans etc) so football players can hit and be able to take hits. I guess what’s shocking to me is that Brady has defied the logic, by not doing them ever over the past few years. Any hs/college/pro coach would be irate at his defiance!

And I know he isn’t taking as many hits or as hard of hits as younger guys, but you’d think as an older guy, he wouldn’t need to take as many or as powerful hits to go down for an extended period of time.

That to me seems nuts, and maybe we need to reevaluate the importance we place in such lifts? Which I love doing btw
    You should totally stop doing your 5s and get on the TB 12 program. Report back in a few months and let us know how that works out for ya!

Someone will say this eventually. Which is to say it’s been taught here thoroughly.

Trying to emulate what an extraordinarily gifted person does is not useful. Figuring out what ordinary people need to do to optimally improve their performance is.

Any population will have 67% of the people as average in that context. That’s math.

Regardless of what TB does for training, he's he's a big dude at 6'4". Any decent kind of training will make/keep him plenty strong for what he needs to do, although I am ignorant of what training he actually does. Plus at the QB position most importantly he needs is a good arm which is somewhat genetic.

QB's also don't take the punishment and late hits they used to take, although Mahomeboy got rocked a few times in SB55

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    Regardless of what TB does for training, he's he's a big dude at 6'4". Any decent kind of training will make/keep him plenty strong for what he needs to do, although I am ignorant of what training he actually does. Plus at the QB position most importantly he needs is a good arm which is somewhat genetic.

QB's also don't take the punishment and late hits they used to take, although Mahomeboy got rocked a few times in SB55
    The "TB12 method" deals with lots of band work and sport specific stuff. He has said he doesn't do barbells and it's likely given his significant weight loss over the last 5-10 years. It's obviously worked for him, but Gronk also did it his last year in New England and looked awful. You can Google it; it's interesting enough and includes more than just training, but I don't see value in the training for regular folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    You should totally stop doing your 5s and get on the TB 12 program. Report back in a few months and let us know how that works out for ya!
    Yeah, to hell with those silly incrementally loaded barbell exercises. Get out those resistance bands and go to town!

Brady is a genetic freak (not only physically but mentally too). He could probably just do Zumba for exercise and still dominate.

Also, you can't design a strength programme to get the general population stronger based on genetic freaks. It would be like designing a car maintenance course based on Ferraris.

Well, here it is. Tom Brady’s workout routine. This is indeed his trainer

Tom Brady?s Super Bowl Workout Routine | Train Like a Celebrity | Men's Health - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    Brady is a genetic freak (not only physically but mentally too). He could probably just do Zumba for exercise and still dominate.

Also, you can't design a strength programme to get the general population stronger based on genetic freaks. It would be like designing a car maintenance course based on Ferraris.
    He doesn't look like any sort of genetic physical freak to me.

Now, he does love deliberate practice and is willing to get it done so mentally he has put himself on a different level by doing that.

His attention to detail and deliberate practice is what makes him successful. He does all this band work non-sense for strength which seems opposite of what one needs in the NFL but given that he is a QB I think that makes a huge difference. He actually tried to get his linemen in New England to follow the same program but it's my understanding none of them did and they continued to lift heavy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast