starting strength gym

Thread: Preloading a bar for deadlift

Default Preloading a bar for deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This will likely be a stupid question but I've been reading about the ways of damaging even high-end barbells and have become paranoid.

I bought two high quality barbells so I can use one for squats/bench press/overhead press that I keep unloaded on my squat rack after my work-out. The other one, I keep on my platform loaded with a pair of 45# plates. This is because I can tweak my back easier loading that first pair of 45 pounders than actually doing my deadlifts with 3 pairs. I understand that keeping a loaded bar in a rack can bend and damage it.

My question is whether leaving a loaded bar on the platform continuously can also damage a bar. I'd think that the only deforming stress to the bar would be the minimal weight of the steel of the part of the bar between the plates. Will a high quality bar stand up to that minimal deforming force of being kept loaded 24 hours a day sitting on the floor?

The shaft of a bar suspended between two 45s sitting on a platform will not bend the bar, unless it is a Gill 32mm piece of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The shaft of a bar suspended between two 45s sitting on a platform will not bend the bar, unless it is a Gill 32mm piece of shit.
    Thanks Mark.

Logical question when you buy your own quality bars. I treat mine like gold, because I paid good money for them and fell in love with the quality of good old American made steel. Funny how that happens.

You know laying an empty bar on the floor is exactly the same load?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Logical question when you buy your own quality bars. I treat mine like gold, because I paid good money for them and fell in love with the quality of good old American made steel. Funny how that happens.
    That’s the way I feel. When my bars were shipped, I was amazed at the workmanship put into them.

Hence my use of the word paranoid!