starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TRT update: 6 weeks in

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    A thought, but the symptoms of high estrogen are similar to low T. It's possible you traded one for the other. You could try the blocker short term to see if you have changes.
    My estrogen is not radically high, just slightly elevated. I'm sure that if way out of range, my doc would have been more persistent regarding the blocker. It went up as my T did, as a result of the TRT. If I understand the relationship between T and estrogen as revealed in the recent podcast, it is normal for estrogen to go up in the presence of more Test, however that only occurs up to a certain point. Estrogen reaches a saturation point at which it cannot be elevated further, and the gap between the two hormones widens as Test levels continue to rise to the limits of availability. Men with high levels of Test do not typically exhibit elevated estrogen symptoms, even though their levels of the hormone may be high relative to the general population. I would also like the protective benefits that estrogen confers on the heart and other organs as well as the joints. At least that is my understanding of the relationship between estrogen and T. If I'm mistaken please let me know. Thank you.

Will

It's not a primary source, but Jay Campbell's bible at pages 114, 138-139, and 169 list some of the symptoms (and the most common reason why TRT isn't "working").

Testosterone is converted to estrogen by aromatase. Increasing testosterone will increase the conversion to estrogen. Injection frequency and sex binding hormone will also have a role in the amount of conversion to estrogen.
    Testosterone, PSA, and You with Keith Nichols and Scott Howell | Starting Strength Radio #94

Quote Originally Posted by Will Still View Post
    My estrogen is not radically high, just slightly elevated. I'm sure that if way out of range, my doc would have been more persistent regarding the blocker. It went up as my T did, as a result of the TRT. If I understand the relationship between T and estrogen as revealed in the recent podcast, it is normal for estrogen to go up in the presence of more Test, however that only occurs up to a certain point. Estrogen reaches a saturation point at which it cannot be elevated further, and the gap between the two hormones widens as Test levels continue to rise to the limits of availability. Men with high levels of Test do not typically exhibit elevated estrogen symptoms, even though their levels of the hormone may be high relative to the general population. I would also like the protective benefits that estrogen confers on the heart and other organs as well as the joints. At least that is my understanding of the relationship between estrogen and T. If I'm mistaken please let me know. Thank you.

Will
    Just like testosterone, the reference range is only a factor in a low t diagnosis (you can have 500 and still have low t). This is no different with estrogen. Your number is not high or out of range per se, but it is elevated, and it could be high for you. It's a very powerful substance than affects people differently. I suggest you also get a sensitive or ultra sensitive estrogen test. The standard estrogen test is usually for women, so it is not super accurate for men. You may also want to test your sex binding hormone.

I don't think you're going to lose the protective benefits of estrogen if you try a blocker for a couple weeks to see if estrogen is the issue.

I agree a blocker shouldn't be automatic, but his elevated estrogen may be enough to make him feel some of the symptoms of high estrogen, even if the numerical value isn't super high. Both sex hormones have a profound impact on mood.

Since this is not particularly obvious, would you take a few seconds to explain?
    You must not have taken Alex Jones seriously when he said there were "drugs in the water turning the freakin' frogs gay!"

Just for starters, lots of info out there. Maybe an interesting podcast topic?

Endocrine Disruption | U.S. Department of the Interior

Just like testosterone, the reference range is only a factor in a low t diagnosis (you can have 500 and still have low t). This is no different with estrogen. Your number is not high or out of range per se, but it is elevated, and it could be high for you. It's a very powerful substance than affects people differently. I suggest you also get a sensitive or ultra sensitive estrogen test. The standard estrogen test is usually for women, so it is not super accurate for men. You may also want to test your sex binding hormone.

I don't think you're going to lose the protective benefits of estrogen if you try a blocker for a couple weeks to see if estrogen is the issue.

I agree a blocker shouldn't be automatic, but his elevated estrogen may be enough to make him feel some of the symptoms of high estrogen, even if the numerical value isn't super high. Both sex hormones have a profound impact on mood.
    It is my understanding that abuse of an aromatase inhibitor, as commonly seen in bodybuilding, is the primary cause of AAS related heart problems. I would think that correct dosing of the AI and regular labs would mitigate this risk by keeping your estrogen levels in optimum range. So it’s not the AI itself to blame, but overuse by the bodybuilding bros so they can “dry up” for shows.

I listened to your podcast and was vaguely dismayed how many symptoms rang true from the past couple of years (not just the last year ala shitty 2020). I'm 52. Upon finishing up the above podcast I listened to one talking about being a pussy for not trying that 5th heavy rep. Very serious question and to be really clear, I'm not joking at all, can TRT be a treatment for late onset pussy behavior? I used to never have any issue pushing through that 5th rep.....now....at lighter weights (fuck you 2020) there are times I simply can't force myself into that last rep, i.e. to use the term in the podcast, there is a huge lack of aggression.

Don't know, but it would be worth a try.

A TRT dose probably won't heighten your aggression per se, but it might enhance your overall energy and outlook on training and that could very well do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    A TRT dose probably won't heighten your aggression per se, but it might enhance your overall energy and outlook on training and that could very well do the trick.
    Did you listen to the podcast? To my understanding, in this context aggression and enhancing energy and outlook are the same thing. Or am I misunderstanding that Rip?

starting strength coach development program
    Adjectives are such a problem. They are the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12