starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRT update: 6 weeks in

Default TRT update: 6 weeks in

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I had my follow up appointment yesterday, six weeks after beginning TRT. Last week, I went for blood work 72 hours after my weekly injection. My doc initially put me on .5 ml of test cypionate, administered once weekly. At my appointment, we reviewed my labs. My total test had gone up from 380 to 698ng/dL, my hematocrit was 49%, and my estradiol had gone up to 53pg/mL. These seemed to be the three measurements my doctor was most interested in. In error, my free testosterone was not included in the report. It will be for my next set of labs in three months.

He then asked the important question: "How are you feeling?" I told him I felt exactly the same. While I don't feel terrible, I'm still in the same funk that's been hanging over me for a couple of years. I have had no positive changes in affect, no improvement in sleep or vigor, and training is stagnant. I'm still tired much of the time, have little motivation, and well up with tears over silly shit. He was surprised, since my total test had gone up quite a bit. He then stated that everyone's response to treatment is different, and that it will take a while for all of the positive effects occur. BUT, I should be feeling dramatically different by now. So, he upped my weekly dose to .8ml, split in two .4 ml injections. He also said that since my estradiol had gone up so much, he would like to put me on a blocker, but that it was my choice. I declined. I was told that I might get some breast sensitivity since I was not taking anything to keep my estrogen down. He also stated that I will likely need to start donating blood after our next visit because of the increase in my hematocrit levels. This morning I injected another .4ml sub Q and am hopeful that I will see/feel some positive effects soon. Thanks.

Will

Thanks, Rip.

The info contained in that podcast was the primary reason that I declined the blocker. I found the section on hematocrit and hemoglobin very informative and helpful as well. Thanks for clearing up all of the misinformation regarding this therapy. I was speaking to a colleague today about my experience, and this dude, who has been on black market T for over a decade informed me that I better get on that blocker or I was gonna grow tits. So, I can see how the prevailing bro-science can not only be 180 degrees from the truth, but also potentially extremely harmful as well. So, I really appreciate you taking the time to produce quality, informative content on these issues.

Will

Default TRT with Reanadron

Hi Mark, I have a question in regards to testosterone. I am in Australia my doctor though willing to administer TR Therapy, will only give testosterone undecanoate in the form of Reanadron. This is an injection of a 1000mg dose every 4wks to 6wks. Obviously slow release. Have listened to your pocasts on Spotify and I was wondering in your conversations with Scott, Kieth and Jay if it had come up. I have tried reading about it myself but honestly it's a bit above me. Do you have any advice or information in regards to how effective it is as TRT? Plus would I be right thinking the absorption rate will vary greatly from person to person?Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

That salt of testosterone is not used here, and I have no experience with it. But with that dosing schedule, I'm quite sure you will not be satisfied with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Still View Post
    Thanks, Rip.

The info contained in that podcast was the primary reason that I declined the blocker. I found the section on hematocrit and hemoglobin very informative and helpful as well. Thanks for clearing up all of the misinformation regarding this therapy. I was speaking to a colleague today about my experience, and this dude, who has been on black market T for over a decade informed me that I better get on that blocker or I was gonna grow tits. So, I can see how the prevailing bro-science can not only be 180 degrees from the truth, but also potentially extremely harmful as well. So, I really appreciate you taking the time to produce quality, informative content on these issues.

Will
    A thought, but the symptoms of high estrogen are similar to low T. It's possible you traded one for the other. You could try the blocker short term to see if you have changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    A thought, but the symptoms of high estrogen are similar to low T.
    Source? And where would "high estrogen" come from?

And where would "high estrogen" come from?
    Tap water.

Since this is not particularly obvious, would you take a few seconds to explain?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Source? And where would "high estrogen" come from?
    It's not a primary source, but Jay Campbell's bible at pages 114, 138-139, and 169 list some of the symptoms (and the most common reason why TRT isn't "working").

Testosterone is converted to estrogen by aromatase. Increasing testosterone will increase the conversion to estrogen. Injection frequency and sex binding hormone will also have a role in the amount of conversion to estrogen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast