starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas Cafe Classics: Sirloin Tips

Default Texas Cafe Classics: Sirloin Tips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Might have missed, but did you suggest how long to cook the meat without a pressure cooker?

About 2 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What kind of wood do you prefer as your default meat prep board - bamboo or oak block or neither? I find when tenderising meet it sticks less to the bamboo.

We kept the two spatulas from the dads restaurant, and this big beautiful chopping block that prob weighs 200lbs... That knife you kept is beautiful.

I've never used suet and don't think I have seen it in the grocery store, although I never really looked for it.
    Would be interested in trying it instead of the olive oil which is my go to.
    The type you used looked dried(?) and came out of a bag. Is it as simple as buying a bag of suet at the market?
    Or is it available only at a butcher shop?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robin UK View Post
    What kind of wood do you prefer as your default meat prep board - bamboo or oak block or neither? I find when tenderising meet it sticks less to the bamboo.
    I use a maple butcher-block cutting board. Works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    I've never used suet and don't think I have seen it in the grocery store, although I never really looked for it.
    Would be interested in trying it instead of the olive oil which is my go to.
    The type you used looked dried(?) and came out of a bag. Is it as simple as buying a bag of suet at the market?
    Or is it available only at a butcher shop?
    Suet is the "leaf fat" from around the kidneys. It is found on the carcass attached to the spine at the base of the ribs. It is very dry and flaky, and I had my processor grind some for me. I haven't seen it for sale in a store in decades.

My sister runs a small beef farm and I've asked her to request a bag of the beef suet next time they send one to slaughter for their own freezer. Thanks for the knowledge 🖒

Could you do a video one day on how you sharpen your knifes? I thought I'd got mine sharp but that nice old one of your dad's is like a damn razor!

I've watched this 2x, to make sure that I haven't missed the questions below.

1) any recollection of how much beef you cut up? (I just purchased 5lbs of eye round)

2) I've never used a pressure cooker before. Does the amount of beef change the temp cooked or time with the lid?

3) when you added water, did you add any extra salt/pepper as well, just not shown?

4) about what temp and how long did you brown the beef before you put the lid on? Just medium heat and 'no set time, just until browned'?

5) I've never heard of suet. Beef TALLOW IS a suitable SUBSTITUTE, correct?

6) I don't know shit about or drink wine. Any red wine will do, correct?

7) did your dad ever add onions (or mushrooms) to the recipe?

8) What was the bullion brand you used (stuff in the black jar you scooped out with the knife)?

starting strength coach development program
    1. Seems like it was about 2.5 pounds.

2. Yes. 5 pounds takes longer. Research.

3. You saw everything I did.

4. I fried it until it was brown.

5. Tallow and suet are two different things. Research.

6. Any non-poisonous red wine will do.

7. Not that I remember.

8. "Better Than Bouillon."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast