starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pin Fire Method for Tennis Elbow: Pull-ups instead of Chin-ups?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    My tendinitis sounds similar to yours in location and the pin firing worked well, but holy fuck was it excruciating. I also agree with the guy who recommended finger extenders. My arms get pissed off from grabbing in Jiu jitsu and the hand extenders definitely help, but more so for very mild cases and as a preventative measure.

So tennis elbow and pain in the upper forearm area? Did you do pin firing with pull up or chin ups as chin ups don't hurt at all...not one bit. Pull-ups are painful though, thus the thought to use those instead for tennis elbow

Quote Originally Posted by fcwest14 View Post
    So tennis elbow and pain in the upper forearm area? Did you do pin firing with pull up or chin ups as chin ups don't hurt at all...not one bit. Pull-ups are painful though, thus the thought to use those instead for tennis elbow
    Yup upper top of my forearm and my biceps. It also radiated all the way down to my wrist too. I did chin-ups because it bothered it a lot after a couple sets. Try chin-ups and see where it gets you, it doesn’t take too many times for it to work anyways. Worst case of nothing happens you can try it again with pull-ups. Or start with pull-ups, but some things are best done exactly as written.

Yup upper top of my forearm and my biceps. It also radiated all the way down to my wrist too. I did chin-ups because it bothered it a lot after a couple sets. Try chin-ups and see where it gets you, it doesn’t take too many times for it to work anyways. Worst case of nothing happens you can try it again with pull-ups. Or start with pull-ups, but some things are best done exactly as written.

Ok thanks man. I am already into my second week of trying it with pull-ups, so might as well keep going from here with that and try chins if that doesn't work. Doing 20-22 sets of 6x pull-ups and tomorrow if my 4th session of doing that. How many weeks or sessions did it take for yours to clear up? Did it go away completely or just got a lot better? Did you stop other lifting during that time as I am still doing legs, bench, deadlifts and shoulder pressing as that doesn't really bother the area at all. Thank you!

Ok thanks man. I am already into my second week of trying it with pull-ups, so might as well keep going from here with that and try chins if that doesn't work. Doing 20-22 sets of 6x pull-ups and tomorrow if my 4th session of doing that. How many weeks or sessions did it take for yours to clear up? Did it go away completely or just got a lot better? Did you stop other lifting during that time as I am still doing legs, bench, deadlifts and shoulder pressing as that doesn't really bother the area at all. Thank you!
    Mine got better after the forth pinfire session I think. For the time being it cleared up, but I do get minor flair ups and have been for years, but from other stuff like grappling or for a while picking up stones at work as a mason. I kept lifting during it other than squatting (not sure if that’s recommended, probably isn’t) since I got it from a shitty squat grip and the position would aggravate it. Is it painful? I just remember my hands shaking uncontrollably it hurt so bad the first time or two, so there definitely was a lot of inflammation going on. Just remember do it exactly as written, they are very explicit in their instructions and it’s for a reason I’d assume

Just want to say that this worked for me. I did it once Friday after my workout (much later in the day) 25 sets of 4 reps and it made a world of difference. The issue was caused by low bar squats. I reset my low bar squat and tried to perfect my bar position and grip. This seemed to work until the weight got heavy again and I started to re injure the tendon. I never quite figured out what was wrong but I suspect it had something to do with me pulling the hell out of the bar on grinding reps, and not a shoulder mobility issue. I repeated the protocol and switched to high bar squats. I am still progressing well with high bar and my elbow feels totally normal again. Luckily my anthropometry is such that I am able to squat high bar with a pretty horizontal back angle, and I basically use the same low bar cues.

Mine got better after the forth pinfire session I think. For the time being it cleared up, but I do get minor flair ups and have been for years, but from other stuff like grappling or for a while picking up stones at work as a mason. I kept lifting during it other than squatting (not sure if that’s recommended, probably isn’t) since I got it from a shitty squat grip and the position would aggravate it. Is it painful? I just remember my hands shaking uncontrollably it hurt so bad the first time or two, so there definitely was a lot of inflammation going on. Just remember do it exactly as written, they are very explicit in their instructions and it’s for a reason I’d assume

Yeah it DEFINITELY doesn't hurt that much. Hurts the first 4-5 reps then kind of base lines from there for the rest of the 22 sets I did today. I got mine 9 months ago from chainsawing too long after a huge storm with lots of debris. Today was my forth session so let's see. I believe the instructions are just the sets and reps (although chin-ups), but I am just switching out chins for pull-ups as chin ups dont hurt me at all and pull-ups so.

Yeah it DEFINITELY doesn't hurt that much. Hurts the first 4-5 reps then kind of base lines from there for the rest of the 22 sets I did today. I got mine 9 months ago from chainsawing too long after a huge storm with lots of debris. Today was my forth session so let's see. I believe the instructions are just the sets and reps (although chin-ups), but I am just switching out chins for pull-ups as chin ups dont hurt me at all and pull-ups so.
    Yeah I used to do tree work back in the day and can see that happening. I’m curious how it works out for you if you don’t mind coming back with the results.

Yeah I used to do tree work back in the day and can see that happening. I’m curious how it works out for you if you don’t mind coming back with the results.

100% will come back. Will give it two more week (so 4 more sessions), to see if it clears up. If not, I will try chin-ups and see, but that doesn't hurt at all so not sure it would fix it (as it isn't the elbow but more the forearm (started in elbow initially).

I believe the pin fire is just 20-25 sets and don't do bicep or tricep workouts (or things that aggravate it) during the time? Anything I am missing?

You're really making this complicated.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You're really making this complicated.
    What's your hourly rate?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast