starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pin Fire Method for Tennis Elbow: Pull-ups instead of Chin-ups?

Default Pin Fire Method for Tennis Elbow: Pull-ups instead of Chin-ups?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I read all about the pin fire technique via the article and threads here for Golfer's elbow and that others have potentially used it for tennis elbow as well, but it mostly seemed that everyone that tried it and had success had golfers elbow.

I am suffering now for 5-6 months with tennis elbow. The pain not so much in the elbow but the high forearm muscles. Not bad enough to stop training, but certain exercises like front and lateral raises set it off. I want to try the pin fire method as nothing else has worked (including the theraband for a while now). Given chin-ups don't really bother me at all, but pull-ups set it off, and the goal is to set it off to cause more inflammation, am I better off using pull-ups instead of chin-ups for the pin fire method for tennis elbow, as opposed to chin-ups for golfer's elbow? Thanks so much!

We don't use pullups for anything, so I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    We don't use pullups for anything, so I don't know.

Have you had people successfully heal tennis elbow with the chin-ups or just golfer's elbow? I'll give the pull-ups a try and report back. If that does work, I will try out chin-ups.

It works for both sides of the elbow.

Why don't you just stop doing the front and lateral raises?

Quote Originally Posted by Agilic View Post
    Why don't you just stop doing the front and lateral raises?
    It is not just those ones, but examples. I want it cleared up completely for everyday life, so no tennis elbow at all, not just working around it in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by fcwest14 View Post
    It is not just those ones, but examples. I want it cleared up completely for everyday life, so no tennis elbow at all, not just working around it in the gym.
    Anything that is not a core lift and irritates it I would stop immediately, if I were you.

This is a tall order, and not entirely realistic. There is far more to the story than x tissue is damaged, y intervention makes it better, and life continues as though nothing ever happened.

I’m going to give you some excellent unsolicited anecdotal advice.

1) Avoid a cortisone shot. I don’t know exactly why but I think they work great in the short run and will turn your elbow into jello in the long run. Good for multimillion dollar athletes I guess. Maybe not even.

2) If ibuprofen in a pretty good dose makes it feel better it might be an inflammation type of injury. I don’t know how it works either or if it’s a good idea. They still sell it where I live without a prescription . It’s my go to test injuries, but really, what the fuck do I know? It’s well described on this forum, somewhere.

3) Your hand muscles are extraordinarily strong in grabbing (flexIon I think). Even weaklings have crazy strong hands. Extend your hand muscles against some resistance once in awhile. Like a rubber band. A broccoli band is too hard. A newspaper band is too light ( not that they exist). A guy who can crush a potato doesn’t need equivalent extension strength. But he doesn’t need to neglect it either.

It works for me. I do it when my elbows ache and then forget to when they don’t. It’s like stretching.

(Rubber bands are sold exactly for this purpose. I’m not completely insane)

4) Don’t stop training. Ever.

starting strength coach development program
    Its impossible to cure tendonitis 100% and get rid of the pain for lifting and everyday life activities? I've made substantial progress with my golfer's elbow despite having it for 15 years. But I might be looking at permanent pain?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast