starting strength gym

Thread: High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure

Default High Cholesterol and High Blood Pressure

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What is your stance on the treatment of high cholesterol and high blood pressure? I realize these are genetic issues, but where can I read some legit information (unbiased facts) about the truth surrounding these potential problems and their treatment? Am I just screwed - bound for a stroke or heart attack? My doctor just put me on Lipitor, but I’m not sold. Either way, the weight on the bar keeps going up!

What is your cholesterol, and how high is your blood pressure?

I recently had my annual checkup and blood work done, including my testosterone. I'm 41 yo, 5'9" and 230. My most recent numbers (if they even matter) are: Sqt-395x3x2, DL-450x3, BP-262x3x2, P-202x3x2. I LP'd beginning in August, 2019, through December, 2019, then progressed to intermediate programming until November of this year, when I got the 'rona. I LP'd again and have recently began doing the TM for older guys on a 4 day split. In the past 18 months I've gained about 35 lbs of body weight.

The following are the results of my checkup:

BP has been anywhere from 201/100 (a few hours after intensity day squat and volume day pulls) to 135/86 (rest/recovery day). This is quite a bit higher than in previous years.
    Cholesterol = 261 (don't remember HDL and LDL; just that my HDL was low and my LDL was high)
    Triglycerides = 369
    I had low vitamin D, 21. Dr. said it should be 30 (not sure the units of measure for those numbers)
    Testosterone was 232 (yes, I realize that's low)
    I'm having a consultation for a sleep study on the 24th of this month as I believe sleep apnea is playing a part in the high BP, at least.

Blood pressure is normally elevated for a while after a heavy workout, and it's obviously a perfusion/recovery mechanism. Sleep apnea will definitely elevate BP chronically. Your lipids are a little high. I'd get in touch with Tier 1 (the guys from the podcast) for a consultation.

Ok thanks