starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition questions and background

Default Nutrition questions and background

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey there,

I am new to the forum and am looking for some nutrition advice. I am a 27 year old 6 foot tall male and I currently weigh 135. You can probably guess by this description alone that I am severely underweight AND, you guessed it, quite weak for my size. To put it in context my 5 rep max on my back squat is 135. I can deadlift 245 for 5 reps and I can bench 145 for 5 reps and I have been training consistently for 7 years though I admit some of that time was spent doing dumb Crossfit exercise but I always had a strength component. I currently eat about 3200 calories per day (I have been tracking diligently for years), and when I increase my calories I notice that I just move more to compensate for the additional energy. I eat about 400 grams of carbs per day, 300 grams of protein, and maybe 30 (ish) calories of fat. I'm not sure where to go with my calories. I want to get stronger, despite having hardgainer genetics, and I am open to any and all suggestions.

~Grant

Troll. Has to be. Not even a good one. This has what trolling has deteriorated into.

I promise you I am not trolling you. Your information has changed my entire view on strength training and training in general. I was just hoping to get some feedback from people who know more than I do. I'm sorry to have waste your time and apologize for any potential offense I have caused. I'll keep reading your material and listening to your podcast. Again, I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

Thank you
    ~Grant

GOMAD?

If you were in Phoenix, you might consider consulting Coach Santana, who is also a registered dietician (and very active on this forum on such matters):

SSCA : Coaching

I haven’t ever tried that, I hear you recommend it as a temporary measure for teen aged guys. Would there be any risks for me since I’m 27, or would you recommend approaching it the same as an underweight teen?

Maybe try eating more fats? Like, 4 times as much?

/ still not convinced this is legit.

GOMAD?
    He doesn't want to get fat Riip. Duh.

I currently eat about 3200 calories per day
    Having been at one point in my life 6'1" 135#, I can pretty much guarantee you are not eating what you think you are eating. Or if you are actually eating that much, then you are either training competitively for a marathon, or swimming the English Channel thrice weekly. Stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Having been at one point in my life 6'1" 135#, I can pretty much guarantee you are not eating what you think you are eating. Or if you are actually eating that much, then you are either training competitively for a marathon, or swimming the English Channel thrice weekly. Stop that.
    OK OP. Just for fun, let's assume that you're not a troll and that rather than clog up the board with useless crap to get people to waste their time, you know, trying to help you. If your being legit, my guess is that one of two things wiigelec says is true. Either your calorie and protein count is WAY off or you're in the middle of BUDS (unlikely given how weak you are). If neither of these is true, you need a trip to the doctor. You've either got a malabsorption issue or a metabolic one. Either way, the cause should be easy to diagnose unless you've got munchausen syndrome which is possible considering how screwed up your story sounds.

starting strength coach development program
    Gallon of milk a day can make older guys "chubby", but clearly that's not an issue for you. I'd get on it right away with some whole milk. If you go to the grocery store right before closing, you can get milk with the sticker coupons for a buck off because it's close to expiration. Just to check, you aren't trying to strength train and run 60 miles a week right?

I don't see how you can get 300 grams of protein but only 30 grams of fat. That is a bit baffling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast