starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long a pause between squat reps?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Frazer View Post
    Because I was taking a lot more than one breath between reps ... being strict on that will give me an honest, but probably lower, 5 RM ...

Oh well, had to deload anyway. Thanks, Coach.
    Enforcing a 2 breath max in between my reps actually had the opposite affect for me.
    Apparently standing there with 100kgs across my back for too long between reps tires me out... who woulda thunk it.

J

Is there a difference between the breathing patterns you should use for squats, and the one you should use for deadlifts? The way I see it, is that whilst inbetween squat reps, you are still holding a heavy weight on your back. In between deadlift sets you do no get this benefit. Is there a line between a set of 5, and 5 consective singles.

starting strength coach development program
    You'll tend to breathe more between heavy squat reps than DL, because the weight is laying on your back making you tired while squatting, and unless you let go between DL reps (thus making it 5 singles instead of a set of 5) you really can't breathe down there anyway, so you might just as well go ahead and get it over with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12