Adding:

rechargeable 12v batteries
    electric pumps
    bleach
    mapp gas torch

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    mapp gas torch
    what is mapp gas torch

I thought MAPP Gas was discontinued when the factory that made it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    what is mapp gas torch
    The yellow can of gas. Access Denied

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    I've been thinking about assets to buy that both hold some value and can be used if needed.

I suspect you have some experience in this, and it may be a good SS podcast topic.

Here's the list I've got so far.
    -Chest freezer
    -Generator
    -Water collection/filtration/purification
    -Canning equipment
    -Guns
    -Ammo
    -Machining equipment
    -First aid/AED
    -Firewood
    -Back up wood-burning stove and furnace

I'm not interested in hoarding, but rather, buying items that have both utility and can be sold.
    Any other items you'd add?
    In the land of whilst we can't even have a pocket knife. We are fucked.

To just add to your list, general preparedness should also look at short term problems where society has not yet fully broken down. Here are a few of my additions with that in spirit:

-3-6 months of household emergency fund for expenses (start with a $1000 emergency fund)
    -Cash on hand for 1-2 months of expenses
    -Bartering items like mini alcohols, scrap, silver,etc.
    -Shelf stable food for 3-6 months on hand (at least half should be ready to be mobile)
    -Older 1 ton pickup if you can afford it
    -Pick up some handyman skills: general electrical, welding, gardening, animal husbandry, anything to make yourself useful
    -good EDC knife, I use a folding utility knife with spare blades
    -fixed bush knife like a Rat5 or buck knife
    -a good, non military style duffel or backpack
    -multilayer cold weather system, either diy or purchased
    -clothes enough to work for two weeks without laundering
    -good two pairs of boots, rotate pair each day, also enough good wool socks to wear at least two pair a day for two weeks without laundering
    - general battery powered work tools, drills, drivers, bandsaw, etc
    - selection of hand tools in case you lose power and can’t charge other tools
    -two way radios x4
    -spare batteries
    -spare toothpaste for 3 months
    -big box of baby wipes
    -dog

If society continues to break down, you’ll need a lot more stuff, but these are some commonly overlooked things when I see prepper lists, most seem to jump to SHTF bug out plans for on the road or digging in for years.

I just spent far too much money on importing an All American 941 pressure canner. It is a behemoth. I've just worked out how many canning jars I'll need, and the space required to store them (also the empties). Probably should have done that before buying the thing.

Do you recommend just going with loads of pint jars? I'm struggling to see that many uses for loads of the bigger sizes.

5-10 Chuck Norris movies (on any physical media) to keep you going when the going gets tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Ohanian View Post
    The yellow can of gas. Access Denied
    I think you referring to Map-Pro, not the same as MAPP. While I've never used MAP-PRO, I don't think you can weld with it, only braze or solder.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    In the land of whilst we can't even have a pocket knife. We are fucked.
    You need to think outside the box. You can't have a firearm for self-protection, but you can have as many shotguns and as much ammo as you want, if you become a "Hunter" I believe, but don't know, the same rules apply rifles for deer stalking.

Skills to make yourself "Useful".
    A metal game I've played, "How would I make myself useful to a community, if modern infrastructure collapsed or was stressed to the point of dysfunction.” I have many basic skills; Trained welder, have worked as a carpenter/handyman and during the course of fixing up two old houses, taught myself plumping and electrical work, wilderness first responder, familiar with firearms, and most of the skills of homesteading, in short a jack of all trades, but with the except of WFR, none of those skills are uncommon and in my opinion, sufficient to gain me entry to a community. In part, because any community I would want to join, would already be flush with those skills. So what skills/hobbies could I learn that would give me value? Increase my medical skills, but if I don't work in the field, the skills would quick decay. Perhaps start volunteering as a EMT with my local fire station, I know some places will pay for your EMT training. Gunsmith skills and equipment, that sounds like it might be fun as a hobby and would certainly be of value. Volunteering at the vets to develop animal husbandry, especially a clinic for large animals. These are a few of the ideas that have run through my mind.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast