starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength and one kidney

Default Starting Strength and one kidney

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings, I am a 44 yo male, 6ft 6in, 227lbs. I had abdominal surgery at the end of Jan. 21 to remove my right kidney (cancer), but have been cleared to exercise. I also take blood pressure meds. Before the meds, my BP would be 160s-180s/100s. With the meds, taking amlodipine 5mg (twice a day), I'm at a normal range of 120/80 give or take. Some measurements are less than 110 over 70s.

My goal is two fold.

I want to go grow in strength (1) and I want to be weened of my medicine (2).

Prior to surgery, I was mostly sedentary, although some days I would go for a run. By sedentary, I mean 2500 steps per day or less.

I also want to have a better quality of life to save my remaining kidney and to lower my chances of repeat cancer(s).

Doctors are not concerned with my remaining kidney function but obviously I don't want to do anything that would damage my kidney.

Another wrinkle, I had stomach surgery to remove the kidney, which was mostly laparoscopic but I do have about 4-5 in incision below my belly button that required no lifting higher than 10lbs after 2 weeks post surgery. I'm at week 5 now and doc has cleared me for exercise but cautioned to start slow.

Any advice from you guys (and gals) would be appreciated. Thanks.

What were your numbers prior to the surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What were your numbers prior to the surgery?
    I could squat with 100lb weight for 12 reps. Sometimes I’d take breaks with weight still on my shoulders.

Start the program, and do it exactly as written. Your kidney will be fine.

The other kidney was a spare. Do the program. I suppose it goes without saying that you shouldn't drop the barbell on your remaining kidney, although I'm not sure how one would do such a thing if he wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    I suppose it goes without saying that you shouldn't drop the barbell on your remaining kidney, although I'm not sure how one would do such a thing if he wanted to.
    It's not to my credit that three different ways to achieve this feat immediately pop into my head.
    And it's likely all of these have happened and can probably be found on social media...

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    The other kidney was a spare. Do the program. I suppose it goes without saying that you shouldn't drop the barbell on your remaining kidney, although I'm not sure how one would do such a thing if he wanted to.
    Thanks. Do you guys believe that cardio is needed too? Or will the strength alone cure my high blood pressure?

We think that you need to get up off your ass and see what happens to your blood pressure.

Thanks for that. I’ve already been woken up once. I have the app( starting strength). now. Should I start with 45 for everything?

starting strength coach development program
    Read The Fucking Book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast