starting strength gym

Thread: Cold therapy

Default Cold therapy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip, I searched the forum and didn't see this discussed.

What do you think of cold therapy for recovery: cold showers and now this new fad/trend of cryotherapy?

I live in NH so our water can reach temp of 50's. I did -283 in cryo chamber for 3 mins, but water (shower or ocean) is more challenging mentally. But does it contribute to recovery?

Thanks Coach.
    Greg

What is the mechanism? Have you heard it explained? I can tell you that contrast showers are very stressful, and additional stress is not good for recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is the mechanism? Have you heard it explained? I can tell you that contrast showers are very stressful, and additional stress is not good for recovery.
    I've heard this: the cold constricts the blood vessels; when they warm, increased circulation flushes lactic acid out - promoting recovery.

I take cold showers because it helps me deal with cold, making New England winters easier to cope. Never did it for training.

Cryotherapy tanks are popular in NFL now. But so aren't bosu balls and Smith Machines.

Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 9.57.06 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    I've heard this: the cold constricts the blood vessels; when they warm, increased circulation flushes lactic acid out - promoting recovery.
    Do you know what lactic acid is?

Quote Originally Posted by gregpall603 View Post
    Did they literally say "flushes lactic acid out" or was that more of a non-literal expression?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

The linked article seems to conclude that deliberate cooling can help with soreness. If blood flow helps with soreness, whatever the mechanism, wouldn't it make as much sense to just stay warm?

Greg, where are you in NH? I live in southern Maine, right across from Portsmouth.

If all else fails cold water immersion probably has a fantastic placebo effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post
    The linked article seems to conclude that deliberate cooling can help with soreness. If blood flow helps with soreness, whatever the mechanism, wouldn't it make as much sense to just stay warm?
    That's my thinking. When I'm sore, cramping, or stiff, I'd much rather visit a hot tub than a cold anything; especially at my age, the cold will do nothing but really aggravate my arthritis, old injuries and especially my occipital neuralgia (something I don't wish on anyone).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    Did they literally say "flushes lactic acid out" or was that more of a non-literal expression?
    I think your point is that LA is needed for recovery. In which case probably excessive buildup?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikola Blagojevic View Post

Greg, where are you in NH? I live in southern Maine, right across from Portsmouth.
    Manchester area. I actually trained with Ivan Rojas in Elliot. Maybe Rip knows him.