starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rip knows Golf

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    DeChambeau focuses on isolated muscle exercises during his workouts and the golfer explained his fitness philosophy in an interview with Dick’s Sporting Goods.

“I feel like by using and training each individual muscle you can aggregate all of them to be able to function at a higher potential rather than just saying, ‘Oh, can I use all of them and see if they all work?’,” DeChambeau explained.
    How are people successful in putting on so much muscle mass using this sort of training?

If a good coach were to train DeChambeau, what would you do with his diet? Would you have him gain more weight? Or does he have enough muscle mass already that he just needs to be taught how to use it?

JayLivsey is offline Owner, Starting Strength Denver

Quote Originally Posted by DougBriggs View Post
    Not just fear of missing the ball but in Nicks day you had to hit the the center of the club, a size of about a nickel or else you suffered a huge distance drop off. Now the entire toaster is a sweet spot....and the balata ball? LOL.
    The biggest difference today is the ball. The guys playing on tour have little spots etched into the middle of their clubs the size of a dime, just like the “old guys” did back in the 70s, 80, and 90s. The modern player also doesn’t have to concern himself with a “flyer” lie anymore, hence the incredible distance grab you’re seeing from the guys on tour. It doesn’t matter to them if they are in the rough, as long as they are 30 yards farther than they would be hitting an “accurate” iron or 3 wood off the tee.

I honestly have no idea what Faldo has to do with any of this conversation. His career was over by the time the ProV1 ball became the top choice for tour players.

Quote Originally Posted by JayLivsey View Post
    The biggest difference today is the ball. The guys playing on tour have little spots etched into the middle of their clubs the size of a dime, just like the “old guys” did back in the 70s, 80, and 90s. The modern player also doesn’t have to concern himself with a “flyer” lie anymore, hence the incredible distance grab you’re seeing from the guys on tour. It doesn’t matter to them if they are in the rough, as long as they are 30 yards farther than they would be hitting an “accurate” iron or 3 wood off the tee.

I honestly have no idea what Faldo has to do with any of this conversation. His career was over by the time the ProV1 ball became the top choice for tour players.
    With the irons, you are correct about the dime-sized spot, but there isn't a pro who played back then who will tell you they swung as all out with the old drivers like the guys do today.

The ball is a big issue, yes, but don't kid yourself that a 460cc head hasn't allowed guys to go at it harder.

JayLivsey is offline Owner, Starting Strength Denver

Quote Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
    With the irons, you are correct about the dime-sized spot, but there isn't a pro who played back then who will tell you they swung as all out with the old drivers like the guys do today.

The ball is a big issue, yes, but don't kid yourself that a 460cc head hasn't allowed guys to go at it harder.
    I don’t even know what you’re saying? Yes, they swung all out at the driver, take a look at ANY film of Nicklaus with a driver. DJ-

WATCH: Dustin Johnson crushes Jack Nicklaus's persimmon driver 290 yards

I don’t know the actual split and I’m not going to look it up but the 440cc driver is still VERY common on tour. Is my 440cc driver easier to hit than a persimmon? No doubt, but I’m not sure what that has to do with anything we’re talking about.

Tiger made it “cool” to play golf so we ended up with a generation of “athletes” playing golf, not just a bunch of golf only guys. These guys are bigger and stronger, it’s pretty damn obvious if you watch any modern tournament compared to a re-run. Since they are bigger and stronger, guess what, they are dominating courses to the point they’ve had to make them all longer and tighter.

ANYBODY can get stronger, I’ve seen it in our gym with my own eyes. That’s the point.

The comment I responded to was Faldo would have been better if he was stronger. I disagreed and stated Faldo was a big and strong guy and the game was different and has changed. Nick could hit the ball 40yards further back then if he wanted to, but he played the game a certain way for a reason and he won a lot playing that way. Today the game is different, the equipment is different blablabla golf talk few here would be interested in.

I don’t even know what you’re saying? Yes, they swung all out at the driver, take a look at ANY film of Nicklaus with a driver. DJ-

I don’t know the actual split and I’m not going to look it up but the 440cc driver is still VERY common on tour. Is my 440cc driver easier to hit than a persimmon? No doubt, but I’m not sure what that has to do with anything we’re talking about.

Tiger made it “cool” to play golf so we ended up with a generation of “athletes” playing golf, not just a bunch of golf only guys. These guys are bigger and stronger, it’s pretty damn obvious if you watch any modern tournament compared to a re-run. Since they are bigger and stronger, guess what, they are dominating courses to the point they’ve had to make them all longer and tighter.

ANYBODY can get stronger, I’ve seen it in our gym with my own eyes. That’s the point.
    oh yeah, Arnie and Jack went after it, HARD. So did Hogan at times. But they picked their spots for the miss potential. But more than being stronger, it's the equipment that has caused courses to have to expand. Mostly the ball. The pro v was a massive game change, then the larger heads, longer shafts, Trackman..... I'm 51 and can still hit the ball as far as I did at 21. LOL And it has nothing to do with being stronger, my SS was 10mph faster at 21.

No question Tiger had a huge impact. Although Furyk shot a 58 at Hartford only a few years ago. Pretty sure is posterior chain is a bit underdeveloped.

Quote Originally Posted by DougBriggs View Post
    The comment I responded to was Faldo would have been better if he was stronger. I disagreed and stated Faldo was a big and strong guy and the game was different and has changed.
    How do you know how strong Nick Faldo was/is? Squat/deadlift/press numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    How do you know how strong Nick Faldo was/is? Squat/deadlift/press numbers?
    I couldn't quantify it anymore than I could personally quantify Tiger's strength. Although nobody questioned how important his obvious strength meant to his game, look how far he it after all.

But you said he didn't "need" to be any stronger, not actually knowing how strong he was, as though being stronger would hurt his game.

First of all, I wouldn't put too much stock in that video. Sure looks nice, but he is also hitting a modern ball on a driving range where he doesn't have to worry about keeping the ball on the planet.

440cc is still mammoth compared to the 280cc they used to play with. Not to mention the new faces keep up the ball speed on off-center hits(which pros hit quite often as well.) We can agree to disagree but guys did not go full out like they do today.

That is a different thing from saying strength is not needed. Absolutely it's needed. I said in my first post, "until you can't get the club in proper positions, you can never be too strong."

BUt all the strength in the world doesn't help you if you can't hit the ball pure. And it was much tougher to hit "on the screws" as they say back in the day, no matter how good you are. PLus the way ball spun, you had to be careful with speed.

The domination comes a lot from the fact that a lot of guys aren't by the rough due to their strength, don't forget.

starting strength coach development program
    Fascinating. Strength by itself isn't enough? Both strength and skill are necessary for competitive sports? Tell us more.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast