starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Client Cannot Hit Depth Due to Hip Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Oh geez. Well I guess I'll tell him to get on it then... What can I do in the meantime to help him?

And let's say he has impingement from his bony anatomy, or an injury to his acetabulum. Would surgical intervention be required? That sounds like it would suck really bad

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    Oh geez. Well I guess I'll tell him to get on it then... What can I do in the meantime to help him?
    You can learn to be a better coach, because I'm not convinced that this cannot be corrected with some better coaching. Note my previous comments.

And let's say he has impingement from his bony anatomy, or an injury to his acetabulum. Would surgical intervention be required? That sounds like it would suck really bad
    Let's worry about that later.

Yes sir. I'll work on him staying in his hips and getting his knees in good position. Also hitting depth. Should I just tell him that there's gonna be some pain, and that he just needs to work through it(deal with it), or is that irresponsible? Thank you for your honesty.

As I said, you don't know that he's going to be in pain if you get him fixed. Stop typing now.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    When he shoves his knees out, the pain comes back. This was the most pain-free position he was able to achieve. I told him to not lift his chest up so early on the ascent, and that'll be the next major point we work on when he lifts. What do I do about the pain when he shoves out his knees? When I narrow his stance, he can move his knees out, but the pain gets worse than the wider stance with knees shoved out.
    If you get him to think ass back, I think the pain will subside in a few weeks if it is pinching at the bottom. I read 'Active hip 2.0' by Rip then 'Active shoulder' (because it is referenced in Active Hip) which helped significantly. Get him in the normal stance from the book and have him push his ass back hard at the bottom.

Here's footage from last night.

Shared album - Isaac Medina - Google Photos

He bought lifting shoes, which help A LOT. He's not staying in his hips yet, but he's hitting depth. If he falls forward, he has a shallow rep. If I cue him to drive up with his ass, he bends over and falls forward pretty dramatically. So I'm working on cueing him on that... But I'd say it's looking a bit better.

I will read Active Hip 2.0 as well

Tactile Cues and Coaching | Mark Rippetoe

You seem to have forgotten this.

Understood. Granted, I was holding my phone while that was going on. Otherwise I'm a bit more hands on. But that article does shed a lot of light on coaching and how to effectively get my point across. Thank you

I think the mask is contributing, probably more than we know.

Home boy looks weak and sickly - like he has poor nutrition. He probably avoids eggs and meat, or has for a long part of his life, substituting "plant based" (barf) "I cant believe its not real food" for real food, i.e. food that had parents. As a consequence his neurological system and joints are all fucked up and full of pain and inflammation. Make sure he is eating at least 2 pounds of red meat per day. A dozen whole eggs can substitute for one pound of this meat.

No more beer, either. he looks like he might enjoy "craft beer". Whiskey and scotch only, henceforth.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, the mask is not helping him at all. But he won't pull it under his nose. I don't wanna get in an argument about that, seeing as how he pays me for my time. I don't wanna start something. New Mexico is pretty bad when it comes to masks and mask enforcement. It sucks.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast