starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Client Cannot Hit Depth Due to Hip Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here's a link to a bunch of videos I took of him.
    Shared album - Isaac Medina - Google Photos

His shorts are too tight. Can you not see this?

I guess that's something I overlooked. Is that really contributing to his hip pain that much? I know tight shorts don't allow you to come into full depth, but is that the source of his pain? I'll tell him to wear looser shorts, because I guess that's the first step.

I'll be back with more footage

Squat shoes will almost certainly help, too. Raise his heel some and he should find hitting depth much easier and less painful. Do that, and then encourage him to work through the pain. My bet is his tightness/pain goes away as he practices full range of motion and his squat strength goes up.

His incorrect position may be contributing to his hip pain. You'll have to straighten him out to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Medina View Post
    I guess that's something I overlooked. Is that really contributing to his hip pain that much? I know tight shorts don't allow you to come into full depth, but is that the source of his pain? I'll tell him to wear looser shorts, because I guess that's the first step.

I'll be back with more footage
    Like I said, if I wear boxer briefs (or anything tight), my hips impinge.

Also for whatever reason I can never see the videos when they're Google links. If anyone knows why, I'd appreciate any tips.

Shared album - Isaac Medina - Google Photos

This was from last night.

I elevated his heels, and that helped with depth in the BW squat, but when things got heavier, the pain resumed. He's gonna purchase a pair of lifting shoes. He wore loose shorts, and his underwear wasn't tight. Something I noticed: his right side hits depth, but his left side doesn't. I tried staggering his stance ever so slightly, and that seemed to help with some pain. Interesting. Inputs?

He's not squatting to depth, and he's not keeping his knees out. He's not staying in his hips on the way up. Check him for a short leg.

When he goes any lower under load, the pain comes back. I'm thinking he's not shoving his ass back far enough. He can hit a BW squat to depth, but not under any load. Maybe a confidence issue?

When he shoves his knees out, the pain comes back. This was the most pain-free position he was able to achieve. I told him to not lift his chest up so early on the ascent, and that'll be the next major point we work on when he lifts. What do I do about the pain when he shoves out his knees? When I narrow his stance, he can move his knees out, but the pain gets worse than the wider stance with knees shoved out.

I'll check him for a shorter leg. I'm sure you have an article about that. I'll do my research. I'll also lower the weight on the bar so he can confidently hit depth without pain.

starting strength coach development program
    And he may have FAI or a acetabular labrum injury. An MRI would be helpful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast