starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The wages of silly bullshit

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    And all for a broken foot. Carry on, I guess.

I have come to believe that the SS program is “bone training”. We willingly place the entire skeleton under load, We do not isolate “muscles” - we use the skeleton as levers, and yield all the benefits of it- stronger, harder, denser bones, a body free of osteoporosis and sarcopenia (you young guns out there may not think that’s important, but wait until you are in your 50’s!) Additionally, we might actually learn from Rip and Sully that the bones are both an organ and a gland, signaling and secreting enzymes to the muscles which play an important role in muscle growth.

Ignore the role of skeletal loading at your own peril. Some people have to learn the difficult fact that “Easy Doesn’t Work”. The big compound movements are difficult - hard, if you will. But look at the alternative - fractured femur or hip in your 50’s? No thanks.

“Like it or not, we remain the possessors of potentially strong muscles, BONE, sinew, and nerve, and these hard-won commodities demand out attention. They were too long in the making to just be ignored, and we do so at our own peril. They are the very components of our existence, the quality of which now depend on our conscious, directed effort at giving them the stimulus they need to stay in the condition that is normal to them.

Thank you Rip for the incredible Preface to SS 3rd Edition, and to Sully for the detailed explanation of bone signaling and secretions in The Barbell Prescription. (Sorry, I don’t mean to preach to the choir....I am writing this to my 54 year old self to remember why I need to get under the bar.)

Should also included this excerpt from the Preface of Starting Strength 3rd Ed which addresses the topic directly:

“All of the exercises described in this book involve varying degrees of skeletal loading. After all, the bones are what ultimately support the weight on the bar. Bone is living, stress-responsive tissue, just like muscle, ligament, tendon, skin, nerve, and brain. It adapts to stress just like any other tissue, and becomes denser and harder in response to heavy weight. This aspect of barbell training is very important to older trainees and women, whose bone density is a major factor in continued health.”

Tommy,

My boss is 63. I know there was a time he dabbled in powerlifting and bodybuilding. He had a deadlift in the mid 600’s or so. His forearms are still incredibly massive. I’m not sure when he quit training but he had a car accident about a decade ago that fucked his back up.

It progressed lately to the point where he was losing motor functions and could barely walk. He finally opted for surgery.

Surgery went well with one exception: They didn’t have screws on hand large enough to drill into the massive fucking bones in his back. The doc said he’d never seen bones so dense and rigid so the surgery lasted 8 hours, most of which was waiting on the right screws to anchor in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    The balance nonsense is ok to mock.

The mocking a woman in her fifties because doesn’t look like she did in her twenties probably goes over well with your female members.

Not
    I completely disagree, vis-a-vis Brooke Shields. For starters, as a disclaimer, I like sexy women of all ages. As a 50 year old fart, I find many women in their 50s - who look to be in their 50s - sexy. Same for broads in their 40s, all the way down to teenagers. I'm able to like women of different ages and sizes.

My woman is 50 and looks awesome. She eats lots of meat and she squats, presses, pulls and benches and has built muscle and strength on the SS program. She has taken care of her skin and health and looks awesome and sexy at 50. So if any of our "female members" think I am an asshole I don't care.

Brooke Shields is a tool of the Hollywood propaganda machine. I have been given no reason over the past 35 years to believe she is a good person. She certainly has not used her wealth and fame to do anything I feel is "good." Instead she used her God given beauty to enrich herself, but clearly did nothing to enrich her mind or her body, which is why she looks like dogshit. If you make your living and in fact of your whole existence is based on how you look, it's fair to point out how shitty you look when you look like shit. And she looks like shit. Certainly worse than my wife and many other older women I see; older women who lift to get strong not balance on silly bullshit boards; and women who eat steak and eggs not quinoa and "plant based" franken foods.

No apologies from me.

It says she broke her femur, but the cast was on her shin...huh? Anyways, someone should email Brooke the video of Brian Jones telling his story. That guy successfully un-fucked much more fucked up leg bones.

How anyone who calls himself a coach or trainer can think that mastery of these types of balance gadgets is anything more than a party trick is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by bjvinson View Post
    How anyone who calls himself a coach or trainer can think that mastery of these types of balance gadgets is anything more than a party trick is beyond me.
    Not to belabor the point, but there are some valid exercises that can significantly improve your balance.

I find that low bar squats seem to work rather well. But that’s just me.

Quote Originally Posted by bjvinson View Post
    Paul Chek made a career of it. I suspect this is where this particular stripe of Silly Bullshit originated.

I've never found Brooke Shields attractive. As far as I can tell she was only ever considered attractive in as much as there isn't anything especially wrong with her facial features, no deformities or any explicit facial deficits. She's always looked rather plain Jane to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Physically she isn't attractive or unattractive, just average. What makes her unattractive and unappealing to me is she uses it for her own power and gain, and pretending to be pure when I get the impression she's anything but. And like said above, she has that whole crazy eye thing going on which to me says a lot on who she is as a person. Still feel sad for her that she found some trainer and fell for his BS that got her hurt.
    Maybe it'll cause her and a few others to wake up to the nonsense that is "functional" training.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast