starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jiu-Jitsu and the 2024 Olympics

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    He says as he misspells jujutsu.
    Hee-hee, and there's another way to spell it too.

Then why did you bring it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You mean other than a careless post of a poorly vetted link? Just some humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Hee-hee, and there's another way to spell it too.
    I am aware. Which of these spellings is a translation from the kanji?

Mark, he’s the board authority on everything martial arts.

We are aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    People get really excited about BJJ becoming an Olympic sport. I don't think there's a better way to more thoroughly fuck the whole thing up than allowing that to happen. The rules in Judo are completely fucked.
    Rules which have nothing to do with the Olympics or the IOC and everything to do with years and years of the IJF promoting big, exciting, ippon scoring throws above all other aspects with a dash of classical Japanese style judo favoritism thrown in.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    BJJ in the Olympics would ruin it more than it already is on the competitive scene. This used to be a sport entirely about fighting. Now, two people immediately sit down, one gets an advantage and then stalls for five minutes. That guy is then declared a champion of BJJ.
    The fundamental position of BJJ is the guard in it's various forms. You don't penalize that position without fundamentally altering the sport. And even if you did, you'd just get ADCC where two people with mediocre takedowns stall on the feet or one person eats a penalty for pulling guard and the other person rides out the clock to win.

The problems with sport BJJ are almost entirely because stalling isn't aggressively penalized.

I am aware. Which of these spellings is a translation from the kanji?
    All of the variants are. It depends on when the particular accepted one was adopted as standard and which system for transliteration was used. Romanization of Japanese - Wikipedia

The same thing has happened with other languages like Chinese and those of India. That's how Peiping became Peking became Beijing. During the course of my life I've seen all three as the standard. Likewise how India was once spelled Injia by the Brits. You can see it on the old maps and in the way it got pronounced by some of the old India types. Same as Bombay going back to Mumbai these days.

Standards for rendering other names, words, and places into English change and have changed over time. I guess you didn't know that.

Mark, he’s the board authority on everything martial arts.
    And the English language. All languages, really. Philology, as it were.

And the English language. All languages, really. Philology, as it were.
    If you were correct, I'd be in good company with Dr. Maturin who was indeed a master of multiple languages and several of the fighting arts of his day. Along with many aspects of the zoology of the time and quite accomplished in the medical field.

But me? I'm just an old guy who's been around long enough to have practiced some martial arts. I also had the good fortune of having been able to talk with japanese guys (from Japan, not Nisei). They explained the Kanji and how it was us round eyes who came up with ways they thought it should be spelled in various ways. Then later over the years I did some research of my own to see if maybe they had been pulling my leg.

starting strength coach development program
    your problem is an almost complete lack of self-awareness. But as long as you're happy, carry on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast