starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jiu-Jitsu and the 2024 Olympics

Default Jiu-Jitsu and the 2024 Olympics

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just stumbled across this earlier today. Jiu-Jitsu Officially Added As An Olympic Sport For 2024 Games - All Access MMA

Given the direction we've seen of the feminization of the Olympics, it really surprised me. Particularly given the buzz over the last few years over taking out some forms of wrestling.

What surprised me still further were the rules of engagement:

“We went to great lengths to ensure that our sport would be treated with the respect it deserves,” Gracie said to Jiujitsutimes.com. “We will be using the current IBJJF no-gi rules with some minor modifications. For starters, open hand slaps will be allowed to simulate reality, as well as low kicks from the standing position. It’ll look a lot like the style of jiu-jitsu that my grandfather promoted all of his life.”
    Now if they just spelled Jujitsu correctly.

I have an email in to Sensei Gracie about this now. I told him you said that he must correct this immediately.

I'm very skeptical of this article based, primarily, on the following journalistic mishap: "'We went to great lengths to ensure that our sport would be treated with the respect it deserves,' Gracie said to Jiujitsutimes.com."

The chance that Jiujitsu Times got an interview with Carlos Gracie Sr. is slim.

This article is based almost entirely on the Jiujitsu Times article who are not known for their journalistic quality. They're known for short, opinion pieces. The links the Jiujitsu Times posted go to a twitter with a single tweet of a link that goes to an unresponsive website.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

This is total bullshit and all of those websites referencing The Jiujitsu Times article fell for the April Fool's Joke.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

There are several ways to transliterate it into English. I like the simple way sans an excess of vowels.

The Brazilians translated it. But it appears to be bullshit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewLewis View Post
    This article is based almost entirely on the Jiujitsu Times article who are not known for their journalistic quality. They're known for short, opinion pieces.
    I have to agree about the source you cite and I should have taken that into account. My bad, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I just stumbled across this earlier today. Jiu-Jitsu Officially Added As An Olympic Sport For 2024 Games - All Access MMA

Given the direction we've seen of the feminization of the Olympics, it really surprised me. Particularly given the buzz over the last few years over taking out some forms of wrestling.

What surprised me still further were the rules of engagement:

We announced that we have a $400 TUBOW for sale on the same day, Mark! Get on the waiting list!!!

People get really excited about BJJ becoming an Olympic sport. I don't think there's a better way to more thoroughly fuck the whole thing up than allowing that to happen. The rules in Judo are completely fucked. And try to get excited about watching an Olympic Tae Kwon Do match - a sport where two dudes are supposed to literally kick the shit out of each other - where they have electronic scoring and the biggest danger to an opponent is twisting an ankle or tearing an ACL.

BJJ in the Olympics would ruin it more than it already is on the competitive scene. This used to be a sport entirely about fighting. Now, two people immediately sit down, one gets an advantage and then stalls for five minutes. That guy is then declared a champion of BJJ.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    He says as he misspells jujutsu.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast