starting strength gym

Thread: Rip: When to Stop Trying to Train

This is a sad day. I'd like to pay my respects. Is Stef handling the arrangements or is Delgadillo? Or will you just let the dogs eat you and scatter the bones?

Thanks Rip for the article. I'm not there yet but I've wondered for a while how I should be setting my expectations as I get older. It's helpful to not just know what to expect, but also the right attitude to have about it. I turned 40 last month and I've been thinking a lot about my folks and their own experience with aging. It scares me, but at the same time I know there is something I can do about it. To be honest, before I started lifting and reading about other, older lifters, I had no idea how strong you could be as you age. It's really pretty amazing!

I think what may be relevant is that while you can stop training certain lifts because of repeated injury it doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t make progress on others.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Z View Post
    I turned 40 last month and I've been thinking a lot about my folks and their own experience with aging. It scares me, but at the same time I know there is something I can do about it. To be honest, before I started lifting and reading about other, older lifters, I had no idea how strong you could be as you age. It's really pretty amazing!
    I was my strongest in my early-mid 40's. You have lots of time.

I'm just curios if you can plan a schedule and stick to it. I'm 57, training intensely since 2013. I PR'd my lifts in 2018, and not expecting to surpass those lifetime PRs, by I will follow your sage advice to keep cycling training to reach local PRs. But I find myself having to re plan my workouts almost continually. Ideally I plan three workouts a week, one heavy (Friday), one light (Sunday), and one medium with volume (Tuesday). But if I miss my Sunday workout because I'm too drained or overworked, I'll aim to do the Medium w/volume on Monday followed by a light workout on Wednesday. And then if I miss also Monday, I'll aim for an intense medium w/volume on Tuesday followed by recovery until Friday.
    But also even when I make it to the workout, I often find an injury or weak body part will force me to change the focus and plan of that workout. So often am I forced to readjust to the situation at hand, that I marvel at your article that gives the impression that you stick to a set plan without wavering. Do you really manage that way, or was that sort of skipped over in this article?

I travel a lot, especially in summer, so my schedule is always varied. But the general idea is 3x/week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    I was my strongest in my early-mid 40's. You have lots of time.
    I'm 51 and the strongest Ive EVER been - and I started lifting at age 14 in the garage. Progress is slow and steady, but I still progress. Anyone who peaks in their 20s is a fucking loser.