starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there any reason to do an abs excercise?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni View Post
    I promise you, we are not really checking out the abs. Abs may get checked out after other attributes have already gotten our attention. Many more women than ya'll realize check out asses. Squats get you there. The rest of us, it's biceps, eyes, hair, then stuff like money. Dick size can be worked with. Correlations is not causality.
    I concur. To me a six pack is a red flag. It typically signals a narcissistic personality, poor judgement, and annoying lifestyle habits that are incompatible with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    To be fair, I did invite Rip to tell me to sod off. I don’t think I’ll get my press to 225, given my age and size. I’m not a fat fuck, and said nothing about wanting a six pack for vanity purposes or otherwise (but in any event I do agree that you get six packs in the kitchen, not in the gym). I don’t give a damn about a six pack. My question was more about whether there was any benefit to them as an ancillary exercise. I’m happy to hear the answer is no.
    Don't be so sure you can't hit 225. That's a selflimiting belief. I'm 51 and can press over 225. Its taken me ten years or so, but I can do it. Also, if you stick with it long enough, your overall body size will increase to handle the load. This is one of the ways in which the abs - like the arms, shoulders, chest, back glutes, legs and everything in between - gets larger and more pronounced, and is why I said keep working and get stronger. Just as there is no need for wrist curls, there is no need for special ab work.

My statement about you wanting abs to look sexy is an acknowledgement that wanting to be physically attractive is NOT an unreasonable goal, just that special ab focused exercises are totally not need/a priority to achieve visible abdominal muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Don't be so sure you can't hit 225. That's a selflimiting belief. I'm 51 and can press over 225. Its taken me ten years or so, but I can do it. Also, if you stick with it long enough, your overall body size will increase to handle the load. This is one of the ways in which the abs - like the arms, shoulders, chest, back glutes, legs and everything in between - gets larger and more pronounced, and is why I said keep working and get stronger. Just as there is no need for wrist curls, there is no need for special ab work.

My statement about you wanting abs to look sexy is an acknowledgement that wanting to be physically attractive is NOT an unreasonable goal, just that special ab focused exercises are totally not need/a priority to achieve visible abdominal muscles.
    I appreciate that. I started SS 7 years ago at age 50, and have had your normal starts and stops and restarts due to injuries, operations, etc., but have been pretty good about doing the program. But although I have manage to put on about 20 lbs through the program I only weigh about 160 lbs. (5’8, 57 y/o) and have had to start microplating at around 105 lbs on the press. and have put on about 25 pounds. 225 just doesn’t seem in the cards...

As for the vanity abs, I’m just having some fun with the comments. My subject line to Rip was “Is there any reason to do an abs exercise?” I am happy that there is not. What normal person wants to do an abs exercise? And I have no interest in looking like an insect.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I appreciate that. I started SS 7 years ago at age 50, and have had your normal starts and stops and restarts due to injuries, operations, etc., but have been pretty good about doing the program. But although I have manage to put on about 20 lbs through the program I only weigh about 160 lbs. (5’8, 57 y/o) and have had to start microplating at around 105 lbs on the press. and have put on about 25 pounds. 225 just doesn’t seem in the cards...

As for the vanity abs, I’m just having some fun with the comments. My subject line to Rip was “Is there any reason to do an abs exercise?” I am happy that there is not. What normal person wants to do an abs exercise? And I have no interest in looking like an insect.
    225 at 160 wont happen. May need to eat more meat and get up to 185, jacked, tan and juicy by age 60. That would be a sight - 60 year old dude at 185 overhead pressing 225. That could be you.....

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    225 at 160 wont happen. May need to eat more meat and get up to 185, jacked, tan and juicy by age 60. That would be a sight - 60 year old dude at 185 overhead pressing 225. That could be you.....
    Heh. I am sooooo on it. What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    To me a six pack is a red flag. It typically signals a narcissistic personality, poor judgement, and annoying lifestyle habits that are incompatible with mine.
    I think this post is a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny&mighty View Post
    I concur. To me a six pack is a red flag. It typically signals a narcissistic personality, poor judgement, and annoying lifestyle habits that are incompatible with mine.
    I did see a quote once that was along the lines of "Never trust a man with a six pack. He didn't go to all that trouble for just one woman."

Women are most attracted to men that can provide a highly secure nest for the reproduction and provisioning of healthy offspring. This sexually reproductive dynamic is always at play even in homosexual relationships. To provide a "secure nest" for healthy offspring , many attributes come in to play, from personality, intelligence, to bodily health, to ability to provide for offspring, to bonding, support system, communication, etc. and all of these partner attributes have to be measured against what the other partner brings to the table....for instance the male partner could be big, strong, protective, make good money,etc. but be a poor emotional communicator which could jeopardize the pair bonding and if taken further jeopardize the relationship; however, the female partner could be such an excellent emotional communicator that she can navigate thru those times these skills become paramount and thus she could marry a man with sub par skills in that level. So, she only needs to find a man that has those skills in those areas that she lacks ....but for the average woman what she mostly desires is a man that REALLY desires her....that he can clearly communicate this desire but never in a dangerous manner ( because then he would be a threat to her and her offspring)....that he can clearly secure, protect and provide for her and the nest and then because the pair bond must last so long to successfully raise human children...to be fun...so there you go....women mostly desire men that really desire them and are funny, and have the skills necessary to maintain pair bonding, and to secure and provide for her anf the nest....Ultra dominant , rich, or ultra good looking men are actually not that attractive to women....I HAVE BEEN CURSED WITH THIS SO I KNOW, LOL.....because the woman feels threatened that the male can easily stray and ultimately provide for another nest...leaving her and her nestlings destitute...however, she may still fall for these types because they have so many of the desired attributes...so many woman will have a one night stand with a stallion to steal his seed and then run back home to her little pooh bear because of her pooh bear's better ability in maintaining long term relationships

I’m going to cry myself to sleep over all of this six-pack shaming. Six-pack lives matter!

Maybe the appraising glances from unfamiliar women is worth dieting down every once in a while?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gadders View Post
    I did see a quote once that was along the lines of "Never trust a man with a six pack. He didn't go to all that trouble for just one woman."
    What turns me off is their obsession with food, calories, "macros", etc. Life is short and I'd rather spend my time with someone who will enthusiastically consent to sharing a cheese fondue and a bottle of wine (or two...) with me.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast