starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there any reason to do an abs excercise?

Default Is there any reason to do an abs excercise?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coach, I understand that the main lifts work my abs already. Would accessory abs exercises be beneficial nevertheless, or would it be a belts and suspenders situation? If abs work is advised, which single abs exercise would you recommend, and would you just add it to you training day, or do it on off days. Also, tell me to sod off if this question is beyond stupid.

Have you ever seen an ab exercise in any of my programs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have you ever seen an ab exercise in any of my programs?
    Damn me.

Get your press over 225 (aka 102 kilos you insufferable Eurofag) and tell me you need to work abs. I dare you.

If you want your abs to show for vanity purposes (and unlike Rip who has no regard to the normal- but fruitless - human impulse to appear physically attractive to women, I get it. We want to look good.) don't be such a fat fuck. Lose the 1.5 inches of seal blubber coating your abdominal wall. This is done through a caloric deficit, not hours and hours of twists, crunches, planks or whatever other horseshit exercises you see on YouTube.

This is actually a very similar question to, “Is there any reason to do additional lower back exercises?”

The “core” (ugh), including the abs and lower back muscles are isometrically held during the lifts.

Why is it sufficient for the lower back to get stronger isometrically but not the abs? No one ever asks about “rounded lumbar spine deadlift day,” for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Get your press over 225 (aka 102 kilos you insufferable Eurofag) and tell me you need to work abs. I dare you.

If you want your abs to show for vanity purposes (and unlike Rip who has no regard to the normal- but fruitless - human impulse to appear physically attractive to women, I get it. We want to look good.) don't be such a fat fuck. Lose the 1.5 inches of seal blubber coating your abdominal wall. This is done through a caloric deficit, not hours and hours of twists, crunches, planks or whatever other horseshit exercises you see on YouTube.
    One of the best replies ever from somebody not named Rip. Good job, Sir.

To be fair, I did invite Rip to tell me to sod off. I don’t think I’ll get my press to 225, given my age and size. I’m not a fat fuck, and said nothing about wanting a six pack for vanity purposes or otherwise (but in any event I do agree that you get six packs in the kitchen, not in the gym). I don’t give a damn about a six pack. My question was more about whether there was any benefit to them as an ancillary exercise. I’m happy to hear the answer is no.

Tryna look sexy in a bikini? Diet down and practice sucking in your gut.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    (and unlike Rip who has no regard to the normal- but fruitless - human impulse to appear physically attractive to women, I get it. We want to look good.)
    I promise you, we are not really checking out the abs. Abs may get checked out after other attributes have already gotten our attention. Many more women than ya'll realize check out asses. Squats get you there. The rest of us, it's biceps, eyes, hair, then stuff like money. Dick size can be worked with. Correlations is not causality.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Tryna look sexy in a bikini? Diet down and practice sucking in your gut.
    See my follow up post. I already look great in a bikini. I didn’t ask Rip how get six pack abs. You all need to quit projecting.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast