starting strength gym

Thread: deadlifts

Default deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Rip

The other day I pulled 344 lbs for 4 reps then failed on the 5th. So ill be aiming to get 5 reps at 344 tomorrow and then continue progressing.

Can you please advise on appropriate weights for warmup sets? I'm not sure if my warmup weights need adjusting. Ive kept them the same for a while now. Ive only been increasing the working set weight.

Currently I am doing 2 sets of 5 at 135 lbs, 1 set of 5 at 185 lbs, 1 set of 3 at 225 lbs, 1 set of 2 at 275 lbs.

Thanks a lot.

Are you squatting before you pull?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmll View Post
    The other day I pulled 344 lbs for 4 reps then failed on the 5th.
    To help finish the work set, doing fewer deadlift warm-ups has been suggested in the forums. The idea is 3-5 warm-up sets, that "can be be tapered down to two or even to a single rep for the last warm-up set, saving gas for the work sets" (Practical Programming for Strength Training, p. 74).

For 345, I would have done 13 fewer warm-ups (rather than 20), which might help getting the last rep of the work set:

135x4
    190x1
    245x1
    295x1
    345x5

Good luck next time!

To Rip's point, if you have already squatted you should already be warmed up. Just need to prime the movement for the weight after that. I deadlift over 400#, but only take 2-3 sets before my work set. I usually start at 225 for 3 reps, then 315x1, and then maybe 365x1.

Quote Originally Posted by BastiatBB View Post
    To Rip's point, if you have already squatted you should already be warmed up. Just need to prime the movement for the weight after that. I deadlift over 400#, but only take 2-3 sets before my work set. I usually start at 225 for 3 reps, then 315x1, and then maybe 365x1.
    Doing a set or two at 135 doesn't mess up the work set. It's pulling multiple reps close to the work set weight that can tire you out. It's silly to inflate the first warm up set weight just to minimize total warm ups.

Yes. Squats, press, then deadlifts

Quote Originally Posted by m s View Post
    Doing a set or two at 135 doesn't mess up the work set. It's pulling multiple reps close to the work set weight that can tire you out. It's silly to inflate the first warm up set weight just to minimize total warm ups.
    It's also pointless to do warmups you don't need. If you've already squatted 365x5x3, why in the hell would you need to pull 135 before a work set at 425?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It's also pointless to do warmups you don't need. If you've already squatted 365x5x3, why in the hell would you need to pull 135 before a work set at 425?
    I don't think you need to. I was just stressing that the bigger concern here is too many heavy warm-ups. Personally, I like the routine and symmetry of adding a plate for each warmup.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks a lot for the responses. I did less warmups and got the 5th rep fairly comfortably