starting strength gym

Thread: Question about Squat Weight

Default Question about Squat Weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mark,
    I am a 6’3” 21 year old male who started NLP about a month ago. My current lifts are as follows (for 3 sets of 5): Bench - 152.5; Press - 105; Squat - 250; Deadlift - 285. I know these are not great numbers, but they have all been increasing steadily with one exception, the squat. I am having trouble increasing my squat by 5 lb. per workout. I failed my last rep on my final set two days ago at 250 lb., and today I failed my third rep on my second set at 255lb. This sort of experience has not been uncommon for me as I have progressed; whenever I make a 5 lb. jump I am usually struggling enormously to finish the sets. I know that the common sense solution would be to just back off on the weight, but there have been days when I have completed all the prescribed sets and reps as intended. Wouldn’t that mean the weight is correct? The potential culprit could be insufficient rest/nutrition, but I have been closely tracking calories and protein, and all my other lifts are increasing normally. Is it possible I started my NLP for squat at too high of a weight, and should just back the weight down?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Grover45 View Post
    Hello Mark,
    I am a 6’3” 21 year old male who started NLP about a month ago. My current lifts are as follows (for 3 sets of 5): Bench - 152.5; Press - 105; Squat - 250; Deadlift - 285. I know these are not great numbers, but they have all been increasing steadily with one exception, the squat. I am having trouble increasing my squat by 5 lb. per workout. I failed my last rep on my final set two days ago at 250 lb., and today I failed my third rep on my second set at 255lb. This sort of experience has not been uncommon for me as I have progressed; whenever I make a 5 lb. jump I am usually struggling enormously to finish the sets. I know that the common sense solution would be to just back off on the weight, but there have been days when I have completed all the prescribed sets and reps as intended. Wouldn’t that mean the weight is correct? The potential culprit could be insufficient rest/nutrition, but I have been closely tracking calories and protein, and all my other lifts are increasing normally. Is it possible I started my NLP for squat at too high of a weight, and should just back the weight down?
    Thanks.
    I have a hypothesis about the root cause.

Point taken.

How much do you weigh and what is your total caloric intake a day?