starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barbell Knurling

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    The Rogue stuff has pretty nice knurling, imo. All the bars at my old gym were Rogue bars so I've used them a ton. I don't know man... that's an unusual problem. No offense meant, really, but are you coming from a sedentary lifestyle (student, desk job, etc) and your hands are just not used to it? Because the Rogue bars are not unusually sharp.

My gym has several Rogue Boneyard bars and the knurling is brutal, may be why they went to the Boneyard. I can lift up to 315 without pain, but above that and the knurls feel like they're cutting into my hands. My solution was to go ahead and use straps on anything above 315. And before Dalan ask, I'm a blacksmith by trade and there's nothing soft about my hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I’m sorry stef, I wasn’t clear. I know how one does the grip, I just don’t really understand how one maintains the grip at very heavy weights, while I can see (and have experienced) how the hook grip does so. My guess is, it works at heavy weights as long as your “grip” is strong enough for your fingers to hold the heavy weights. I think mine stop being strong enough at about 225-245, thus, the hook grip. Thanks.
    It’s the same if you hook grip, or mixed grip. It’s just the natural position for the bar to rest. If you try and artificially hold the bar higher, it will work it’s way down under gravity and that’s what tears the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by dalan View Post
    The Rogue stuff has pretty nice knurling, imo. All the bars at my old gym were Rogue bars so I've used them a ton. I don't know man... that's an unusual problem. No offense meant, really, but are you coming from a sedentary lifestyle (student, desk job, etc) and your hands are just not used to it? Because the Rogue bars are not unusually sharp.
    I made a terrible mistake buying a Rogue deadlift bar. That "aggressive' knurling as Rogue describes it can do a number on you at first. My Rogue Ohio bar is perfect.

Knurling makes a significant difference in how some people view a barbell. Although my hands are undoubtedly more delicate than those of a blacksmith, I like the knurling on the coated Rogue deadlift and power bars. Until recently, I had been doing 5 sets of deadlifts and when I finished a workout my hands weren't what I was thinking about. Since the knurling is aggressive, I prefer E-Coat to bare steel.

I have a grab bag Ohio bar, which I bought for $100 plus shipping and tax, that I use for overhead presses and arm work. It's a great bar and I would be happy using it for all my lifts. Since the knurling is moderate, I would pick a stainless or bare steel version instead of a coated one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    My gym has several Rogue Boneyard bars and the knurling is brutal, may be why they went to the Boneyard. I can lift up to 315 without pain, but above that and the knurls feel like they're cutting into my hands. My solution was to go ahead and use straps on anything above 315. And before Dalan ask, I'm a blacksmith by trade and there's nothing soft about my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Boggs View Post
    And before Dalan ask, I'm a blacksmith by trade and there's nothing soft about my hands.
    I wasn't going to ask. The OP said his hands were ripped up enough to draw blood so it seemed like a legit question. You may not have "soft" hands but some people do. That's not meant as an insult, it's just a fact. I have small hands for a male. It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    I made a terrible mistake buying a Rogue deadlift bar. That "aggressive' knurling as Rogue describes it can do a number on you at first. My Rogue Ohio bar is perfect.
    I bought the Ohio deadlift bar and really like the knurls. Helps remove my calluses.

Quote Originally Posted by Smyth View Post
    I just don’t really understand how one maintains the grip at very heavy weights.
    In my experience, it is just as good as overhand or a little better, but a better position in the fingers and pushes towards better arm use. This shows up when you use it for alt grip - no tendency to bend the elbow or push the bar forward on the supine side. Try it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    In my experience, it is just as good as overhand or a little better, but a better position in the fingers and pushes towards better arm use. This shows up when you use it for alt grip - no tendency to bend the elbow or push the bar forward on the supine side. Try it.
    Try it I will. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12