starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SS Radio #104: The Big Lie and Self-Sufficiency

Default SS Radio #104: The Big Lie and Self-Sufficiency

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Great podcast Rip. The part about your house was interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I was able to tick quite a few off the list, despite living in the city.

Got a 4x4 kit with 6" lift and 35" tires on Ford van, with the 7.3L diesel engine.

Also, chest freezer out in the garage, tools, large air compressor, and strategic toilet paper reserves have long been part of my kit, well before this plague hit. The plague being politician overreach.

The politicians, CDC, et al have decided to infringe on my property rights. Fortunately I already had a vacant upstairs apartment in my 2 family house before they decided that I couldn't evict anybody for any reason. The apartment stays empty until the eviction moratorium ends, or good friends take it.

Was gonna buy a rural property after I quit my job in Nov 2019. Should have been quicker.

I'd say other essentials are a home gym and firearms.

Where is the best place to learn about air sealing meat, etc? Sure, I can go to Google, but I don't trust the search results. Now, if there's no thought to it, and no special approach, someone please say so.

In FLA, hurricanes are the big power threat. Have been thinking about how to both go on natural gas for stove, etc (not really discussed on pod specifically) and a generator. Need to get on both of those soon.

Last, how do I even start searching for someone locally who can sell me a beef?

Good stuff Rip.

A few thoughts:

Access to the bottom of big chest freezers even with baskets can be an issue for short people. Keep a written inventory of what is at the bottom of the chest and when it was stored or it could be lost forever. Plastic "milk crates" on the shelves of an upright freezer will increase it's capacity and keep things from sliding out.

Not all soil types are good for septic leach lines. It sounds like Rip has good soil but sometimes the aerobic/spray field system is better. The only solution to a failed leach field is more leach field. You can't fix bad soil. A good perc test should be mandatory before any land purchase for a home if you are against an aerobic system.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost and Found View Post
    Keep a written inventory of what is at the bottom of the chest and when it was stored or it could be lost forever.
    A friend who happens to be a trained chef keeps inventory on the top of the freezer with a whiteboard marker. Items, dates, locations so she can keep everything in rotation.

In that situation, DO NOT sit on top of the freezer while drinking a beer.

Just don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Where is the best place to learn about air sealing meat, etc? Sure, I can go to Google, but I don't trust the search results. Now, if there's no thought to it, and no special approach, someone please say so.
    Two methods I use:
    Vacuum sealer. This is great for cuts. The downside is extra bag to occupy some space in the freezer. It bends easy enough, but is a consideration. It does require the purchase of the necessary equipment and supplies.

Archimedes’ Principle. Put the meat in a ziplock bag, then submerge the bag in water up to the zipper. Be careful not to let any water into the bag. This will drive all the air out (be sure none is trapped below the meat). Seal the zipper.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post
    Two methods I use:
    Vacuum sealer. This is great for cuts. The downside is extra bag to occupy some space in the freezer. It bends easy enough, but is a consideration. It does require the purchase of the necessary equipment and supplies.
    Is there a difference in brands of vacuum sealers? Or are they all about the same?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchless View Post
    Two methods I use:

Archimedes’ Principle. Put the meat in a ziplock bag, then submerge the bag in water up to the zipper. Be careful not to let any water into the bag. This will drive all the air out (be sure none is trapped below the meat). Seal the zipper.
    I like the ziplock bag idea. Another that my grandmother used for fish back in the day was to fill a 1 gal paper milk carton (miss them) with fish and fill with water and freeze. The modern answer I use now is to use ice cream containers, filled with fish (or I suppose items sealed in ziplock bags) then fill rest with water, close and freeze. Will last a long time and no freezer burn. Also, the ice cream cartons and esp. plastic 1 gal containers can be reused, unlike the vacuum sealers; I wanted a vacuum sealer until I began pricing them.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mpalios View Post
    Is there a difference in brands of vacuum sealers? Or are they all about the same?
    I’m not sure. I bought mine along with the Sous Vide machine several years ago. I would guess there are quality differences, but it is also possible that there are only one or two manufacturers and the brands are just putting their stickers on them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast