starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SS Radio #104: The Big Lie and Self-Sufficiency

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    Young people still respond to My Side of the Mountain, (Newberry Medal runner-up, by Jean Craighead George, published 1959), so you can read it out loud to them for inspiration. I know Coach Rippetoe would endorse exiting a New York City apartment for a former farm in the Catskills, along with the love of venison shown in the book.

My Side of the Mountain by Jean George: VERY GOOD Paperback (1975) | OwlsBooks
    Loved the film version of this when I was a kid. Tried it with a friend, but the lack of mountains or even vast enough underpopulated areas within walking distance made it a rather short lived venture. Tried it again at 19 outside of Golden, CO with a little more success, but still short lived.

Probably my most realistic retirement plan right now.

I've already known for years that I need to GTFO of NYC (I am not from there and never intended to stay permanently), but this podcast got me thinking about it some more.
    There isn't a whole lot you can do in a teeny NYC apartment.
    Insufficient storage space, no practical way to obtain backup power if it's not already installed for the whole building, no way to install solar, no land for growing food or collecting water, and it is practically impossible to legally obtain a firearm.

In addition to that, there are also financial and political problems. If current trends continue, I expect NYC to get a lot worse.

If you're living in NYC, the only real choice is to prepare to be a scavenger :-)

Rip, I caught episode #104 SS Radio.
    Very interesting, as I'm looking to build out in the country myself to get out of the city.

I have some questions with regards to the (rain-)water system:

1 - How are you dealing with contaminants on the roof such as dust, bird-poop, leaves, debris?

2 - How it the house pressurized?
    . for gravity, the tank would have to be awfully high I would imagine, and full/mostly full.
    . or do you have a pump?
    . clothes washer, sinks, shower, etc all need some pressure to function properly.

1. You collect after the first 1/2 inch of hard rain. It's called the "first flush."

2. the back porch has a pump and a pressure vessel. Everybody on a well has this equipment, and all plumbers that work in rural areas know how to install it.

Don't dump your washing machine gray water into your septic tank. Very bad idea.

Just a random thought from an idiot, but a .22 air rifle might be useful if you need to survive off of small game. Ammo is cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Soule View Post
    Just a random thought from an idiot, but a .22 air rifle might be useful if you need to survive off of small game. Ammo is cheap.
    Spot on, but make it a break-action piston 0.177. Can carry more ammo per volume.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday, my well stopped working, I did some troubleshooting and narrowed it down to either the pump or a faulty line in the well. Called the well guy, couldn't get here until Tuesday. Turned out to be a frayed line and easy fix. Since the idea of not being able to either leave or have someone come to me due to social unrest is something I'm starting to give some thought, this was a good opportunity to think about my current limitations and what I might do about it. The easiest would be to increase my drinking water storage from my current 20 days to six months and go with a off the grid shower and washing my clothes using creek water. At the other end is a water catchment like Rip has. Although after writing that, I realized that with the rainfall I get, I could go with a much smaller system. Whatever I do, it comes down to time, money, effort, equipment, and space. This is important for those thinking of increasing their sufficiency. Everything you do is going to be a trade off between what you want and what you can do.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123