starting strength gym

Thread: Muscle tear, trauma, smarter in the future

Default Muscle tear, trauma, smarter in the future

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear almighty Mark Rippetoe!

I am in a dire situation. Here is what happened:

I am 42 years old and have been doing SS for about 7 years (admittedly in a sloppy way). However right now I am pretty happy with my numbers
    Last sessions:
    Squat: 385 x 5
    Deadlifts: 472 x 5
    Press: 176 x 4 (I converted from kg hence the weird numbers)

Last Thursday I had an awesome killer workout, I did 3 squat sets of 385(5reps).

On Saturday I was still sore and obviously not fully recovered but since I believed I was the toughest Hulk in the hood I decided to do another squat session.
    After the warmup I went on to the main set of 385 lbs.

On my way down, I think at the bottom I heard(?) a crack in the upper area of my right inner thigh (adductor I guess) and totally collapsed on the floor. I should mention here that the safety bars actually saved my life.

I was out on the floor for maybe a second and after that I had a mild panic attack. cold sweat, heart racing, the full program. My wife freaked out because my face was all white.

The night was in horrible pain. Now after two days I can walk again and I believe I am healing back up.

I rewatched your interview with Joe Leppo (Suboptimal Training Conditions with Joe Leppo, 19.01.2016) because I think he describes a very similar situation.
    What I`ll do in the next days will be the rehab program he lays out in his article Rehabilitating a Severe Adductor Group (Groin) Tear

So here is my question, Mark: when I remember the crack and my panic attack I really dread even the thought of ever doing a heavy squat again. I dont wanna sound
    like a pussy but that messes with me right now. How can I make sure that such a terrible thing ever happens again? How can I be more safe? My wife will kill me if she ever sees me like that again.

Thank you very much for your answer!

Sincerely, August!

PS: I am a huge fan of SS, have read the blue book, listened to the audio book on audible (Strong enough?) and drink from the white Starting Strength Mug

PPS: I enjoy the Texas Cafe Classics videos. Your food very much reminds me of our food in Austria. Where there many Austrian/German immigrants in your area of Texas?

PPS: This video A Tour of Wichita Falls Athletic Club with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube at 10:26 is the funniest shit on the internet !

Aside from being more intelligent about your workout selection, the pins saved you -- kept you safe. If you want to know how to be absolutely sure you never have another muscle belly injury under a squat, the only way is to stop squatting. Otherwise, the possibility is always there.

You're not alone, Moc. Several of us on this forum have gone through a similar experience. I first started barbell training when I was 53 and had just discovered the SS methodology. Two years later, mostly due to faulty technique, I gave my right adductor a good tear squatting 360. Same as you, I was on the floor in an instant, saved by the safeties. I was, of course, discouraged and nervous about what this might mean, but I followed the advice given here regarding the Starr protocol and in four months was squatting that same weight and more. You, being younger, will probably recover faster. Don't put off the recovery work any longer, though. You need to make sure scar tissue does not build up. I was back in the gym four days after the tear occurred.

Last October, at age 59, I squatted 418 and deadlifted 519 in a Strengthlifting meet. I'll be honest, pretty much every heavy squat and deadlift I do these days brings to mind that injury (plus a couple other tweaks), but I try to make my programming conservative and listen to my body during the workout and am very conscious about form. I also think I've toughened up quite a bit since that original injury and healed up pretty solidly.

But, as Rip says, the possibility is always there for another injury.

As an aside, if I were to suffer another muscle belly tear, I'd probably try Will Morris' method of heavier weight with lower reps, rather than the high rep, lower weight Starr Protocol. I have nothing but the highest respect and admiration for Will's knowledge, experience, and expertise so I'd bet he's right about that as well.

Thank you, RJPinAZ - very helpful. Can you elaborate what you mean with conservative programming ? How many times a week do you squat/deadlift? (impressive numbers by the way)

Is there an article that goes into that? What changes for 40 plus year olds? Its such a wake up call to realize not being young anymore (huge tears down my cheeks))

Hey August.

I'm in the same demographic and also have had similar injuries a few years back. In addition to what the Coach and RJP said, I want to add my 2 cents.
    1. Keep squatting and you'll get over the fear. For a while, it might be in your head, but eventually, the fear will fade as it is replaced by the experience of not injuring yourself every time you squat (if you do that, get a form check!).
    2. I assume you're not a novice lifter anymore - what the heck were you thinking squatting heavy again two days after your "awesome" heavy (PR?) session? So your thread title really hits it: smarter next time!
    3. It's just my personal n=1 but all 3 muscle tears I had happened when I was (slightly) dehydrated. I've made sure to always drink enough or more before and during training since then.

I wish you a fast recovery,
    Alex

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Moc7878 View Post
    Thank you, RJPinAZ - very helpful. Can you elaborate what you mean with conservative programming ? How many times a week do you squat/deadlift? (impressive numbers by the way)

Is there an article that goes into that? What changes for 40 plus year olds? Its such a wake up call to realize not being young anymore (huge tears down my cheeks))
    More than an article, there's a whole book: The Barbell Prescription. Get it, read it, learn it, live it. It's what I used to get to where I am today.

By conservative, I generally mean realizing this is a marathon, not a sprint. No need to rush into heavier weights you're not ready for. If I don't think I'm ready for a 10 lb jump, I take a 5 lb jump. I take a minimum of two days off between workouts. Stuff like that.

I had been doing an HLM variant that had me squatting every workout and deadlifting once a week. That worked for a quite a while but then it got to where my lower back was feeling kind of fried so about a month ago I started experimenting with a four-day split.

Day one: Heavy squat, Snatch grip deadlift, seated press
    Day 2: Heavy press, volume bench
    Two days off, usually with some HIIT
    Day 3: Light squat, heavy deadlift
    Day 4: Volume press, heavy bench

I'm still trying to feel out the exact weight, sets, and reps scheme and where to fit some accessory work, but so far so good, as my back is feeling better and my lifts are still progressing. But I'm in no rush, just want to be ready for the next SS lifting meet in the fall.

And dry those tears. You've got really good numbers there and will be exceeding them before you know it. I think seeing the way your body heals itself will give you added confidence.