starting strength gym

Thread: Cracked rib

Default Cracked rib

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi rip
    I have a cracked rib. Its the lowest one on my right side. I was told it will take around
    6 weeks to get better.

I hurt it by something innocuous.. just fiddling around with my new belt. I was adjusting its position and felt a sudden sharp pain while i accidentally shoved it up under my rib area while i was standing up. The pain went away quickly, and i then deadlifted a set of 375 which is my best so far. So i thought no big deal.

But then 2 days later at night it started hurting again in bed. I couldnt lie on my right side without pain. I went to the gym on monday and couldnt squat heavy cos it was too much pain. I benched heavy with manageable pain although it got worse on the 3rd set. And i tried some chinups and there wasnt much pain.

It started hurting even more after monday. On wed i deadlifted heavy (with some pain) and could only do it without a belt. And i couldn't even press the bar, the pain was too much. Today the pain was the worst its been so far. So i feel ive been aggravating it.

So as it stands now, i cant squat or press without bad pain, i can bench and deadlift with tolerable pain, and i can do chinups without much pain. After my gym sessions this week, the pain has increased.

Can u please advise how i should deal with this injury? If i keep lifting with pain is this going to delay the healing time and cause the injury to linger for months?

If you think i should keep lifting, what exercises should i be doing?

I dont know what to do. Ive worked hard to get to where i am...and its not particularly impressive anyway. I don't wana lose strength quickly but i also dont want a lingering injury for months that wont go away.

Fyi my most recent lifts are squats 5 reps 137.5kg then 4 reps, 4 reps and 2 reps at this weight, deadlift 5 reps 170kg, bp 3 sets of 5 at 106kg, press 3 sets of 5 at 65kg. Im 33, 6'3, and 225 lbs. Thank you.

This has been dealt with on this board many times over the past decade and a half of its existence. You need to learn to use the search function. Ribs take 3 weeks. Use a velcro belt above you regular belt while you train through it.