starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If You Didn't Prepare Right, You Have A Last Line Of Defense- Starting Strength Radio

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Not sure I get people's obsession with always staying vigilant. It's as if people think we live in a barren post apocalyptic wasteland full of bands of wandering marauders hell bent on stealing your flat screen television and raping you to death. I own a gun and a St. Bernard, and sometimes I lock my doors. But my god I can't say I've ever dedicated more than 2 and half seconds a day to thinking about the off chance someone wants to come rape me. I get in conversations with my macho male friends all the time and the two things they seem to want to talk about is A) female genitalia and B) the booby-traps, night-vision goggles, and anti-recoil attachments for their semi-automatic bazooka. As if A) they could ever actually talk more than their wife into giving them some (which may not be happening either, thus their fascination with the conversation) and B) they'll ever get to use any of their items on a would-be sodomizing crackhead thief rapist. The "better safe than sorry" mentality is a good one, but not to such an excess. Own a gun. Decide if you'd use it so you won't be penetrated. Get a good dog (preferably big). Don't fall in love with material items so you won't have much to steal. Here's a good thought too - spend a lot of money on books and buy artwork. No one will want to steal those.

But anything other than that is just people wanting to role-play being a bad ass, and then talk to their friends about how the many iterations they've fabricated of themselves in their mind movie would kill "bad-guys" hell-bent on making a prison scene out of their bedroom. What's worse is the "militia" types that are 60 year old borderline white nationalists who walk around with their shoulders pinched pretending that they could take on the US military in the event of a state takeover. The same guys that take prescription medication to prevent their early demise and can't walk to their cars without getting out of breath. Yeah - you got a shot against trained Russian soldiers or the US military with your 12 gauge and sandbag structure you built from Lowes.

I'm more concerned about institutional theft of freedom than I am that the crack head down the road from my house is going to crawl through my window at night, steal my tv, and penetrate me anally. But alas... this post probably won't age well when the crackhead decides to invade my home tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by jcockerham View Post
    Not sure I get people's obsession with always staying vigilant. It's as if people think we live in a barren post apocalyptic wasteland full of bands of wandering marauders hell bent on stealing your flat screen television and raping you to death. I own a gun and a St. Bernard, and sometimes I lock my doors. But my god I can't say I've ever dedicated more than 2 and half seconds a day to thinking about the off chance someone wants to come rape me. I get in conversations with my macho male friends all the time and the two things they seem to want to talk about is A) female genitalia and B) the booby-traps, night-vision goggles, and anti-recoil attachments for their semi-automatic bazooka. As if A) they could ever actually talk more than their wife into giving them some (which may not be happening either, thus their fascination with the conversation) and B) they'll ever get to use any of their items on a would-be sodomizing crackhead thief rapist. The "better safe than sorry" mentality is a good one, but not to such an excess. Own a gun. Decide if you'd use it so you won't be penetrated. Get a good dog (preferably big). Don't fall in love with material items so you won't have much to steal. Here's a good thought too - spend a lot of money on books and buy artwork. No one will want to steal those.

But anything other than that is just people wanting to role-play being a bad ass, and then talk to their friends about how the many iterations they've fabricated of themselves in their mind movie would kill "bad-guys" hell-bent on making a prison scene out of their bedroom. What's worse is the "militia" types that are 60 year old borderline white nationalists who walk around with their shoulders pinched pretending that they could take on the US military in the event of a state takeover. The same guys that take prescription medication to prevent their early demise and can't walk to their cars without getting out of breath. Yeah - you got a shot against trained Russian soldiers or the US military with your 12 gauge and sandbag structure you built from Lowes.

I'm more concerned about institutional theft of freedom than I am that the crack head down the road from my house is going to crawl through my window at night, steal my tv, and penetrate me anally. But alas... this post probably won't age well when the crackhead decides to invade my home tonight.
    You seem to very concerned about anal rape. I don't remember discussing it before.

It's probably a subconscious fear that rose to the point of consciousness when typing that post. This might explain my irrational fear of public restrooms.

Mr. Rippetoe - this was not an attack on your commentary in the video. I agreed with much of it. It was simply a comical take on the extreme ends of the preppers who pretend it is something that warrants discussion or considerable thought daily.

99.9% of being vigilant isn't about preventing anal rape and murder. Noticing things is just a good habit. It allows you to be a better listener and conversationalist. It allows you to make inferences and observations about your surroundings that someone who isn't paying attention.

It's not like you need to be on edge all of the time and ready to shoot someone. Just be aware of your surroundings.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

It's probably a subconscious fear that rose to the point of consciousness when typing that post. This might explain my irrational fear of public restrooms.

Mr. Rippetoe - this was not an attack on your commentary in the video. I agreed with much of it. It was simply a comical take on the extreme ends of the preppers who pretend it is something that warrants discussion or considerable thought daily.
    No, j, I think you're focused on your asshole more than you should be. But hey, I've got my own set of idiosyncrasies.

I live in the country in a fairly large farm house with no neighbors. I've had my house robbed twice, and each time it was when I wasn't home. They took all my guns (for which my NRA membership came in handy). I understand the point of being vigilant and did not mean to offend. I simply have a game plan. I usually do not know what to say when my friends turn the conversation to the "what-if" scenarios. It seems more like a male appendage measuring contest.

I live in the country in a fairly large farm house with no neighbors. I've had my house robbed twice, and each time it was when I wasn't home. They took all my guns (for which my NRA membership came in handy). I understand the point of being vigilant and did not mean to offend. I simply have a game plan. I usually do not know what to say when my friends turn the conversation to the "what-if" scenarios. It seems more like a male appendage measuring contest.
    First rule of holes: when you find yourself standing in one, stop digging.

starting strength coach development program
    Mr. Rippetoe - I have not laughed this hard from one of your rebuttals in a long time. I'm retiring my shovel and scheduling a meeting with my psychologist. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123