starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You Didn't Prepare Right, You Have A Last Line Of Defense- Starting Strength Radio

Default If You Didn't Prepare Right, You Have A Last Line Of Defense- Starting Strength Radio

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

To watch the full podcast tomorrow, subscribe here: Starting Strength Network

Great information.

Unfortunately, I've suffered through two armed home invasions, involving 3 to 4 criminals busting down the door.

I credit my survival, and my family's, to strength training for many years.

The first incident occurred around 3:30am in an apartment complex. I awoke to one 6'6" individual standing next to my wife's side of the bed going through the dresser with a small penlight in one hand, and a knife in the other. Then I saw two more things standing near the bedroom door, just next to me.

I literally thought we were about to be killed, and just laid there looking at the tall one, and thinking, this it it.

As the adrenaline hit overload, I jumped out of bed and grabbed the tall thug, threw him across the bed and jumped on top of him, I hit him like I figured he weighed around 240, I was 205.

Turned out he was probably 140 pounds soaking wet, but wearing big bulky black clothing.

I held him subdued until the police showed up, guns shaking in their hands and obviously scared shitless. The guy I caught had severe facial deformities and looked just like Freddy Kruger. Not pretty. Two of the other three thugs were caught just outside the apartment hiding from me, per the police.

The second time occurred in a quiet rural area with nice homes. I got home from work and realized their was a burglary in progress. At this time I had extra help, having learned previously extra protection was in order.

I grabbed my 870, racked it, called the police, and told them what was up, and there was going to be casualties.

Within a few minutes 4 police cars showed up.

Nick, for those of us like us, children grown and gone (and without a dog), would you leave your weapons out of the safe and ready to go at bedtime? We have a nightstand quick access safe.

My concern with leaving any weapons outside the safe is sleeping so deeply that someone could get the drop on me and use them against me. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Nick, for those of us like us, children grown and gone (and without a dog), would you leave your weapons out of the safe and ready to go at bedtime? We have a nightstand quick access safe.

My concern with leaving any weapons outside the safe is sleeping so deeply that someone could get the drop on me and use them against me. Thanks.
    I wouldn't leave a pistol just sitting out on the nightstand, kids or not. I keep my gun in my carry setup for the most part when I'm sleeping, but also have one in a quick access safe next to the bed. I would prefer to set things up so that the likelihood of someone getting that far without me knowing about it is very low. Dog, motion sensing cameras or alarms, chimes, buzzers, or any number of low-tech solutions. But either way, a gun just out in the open isn't a good idea in my opinion. If for some reason, I think I'll need a rifle or shotgun, I'm fine having that out, but the pistols stay secured somehow.
    Last edited by Nick Delgadillo; 06-11-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Relevant to the discussion: Girl shot by Florida deputies in Volusia County shootout: What we know

“The girl and boy ran away on Tuesday from the Florida Methodist Children’s Home in Enterprise. The two children then broke into a nearby home. When deputies arrived at the home, the children were armed with handguns, a shotgun and an AK-47 rifle and fired at deputies.”

The homeowner is certainly not at fault here but It’s an unfortunate situation, a scenario that needs to be considered for those of us who keep firearms placed throughout the house at arms reach. Along the lines of what Nick mentioned, keeping all firearms locked away aside from ones daily CCW seems to be the safest route.

Quote Originally Posted by samhain3184 View Post
    Along the lines of what Nick mentioned, keeping all firearms locked away aside from ones daily CCW seems to be the safest route.
    Nick didn't say that, and this is a wonderful plan if you don't need a firearm.

I reinforced my doors with one-foot-long strike plates made out of 3/16" steel and ten 3" screws. I think that shit is way sexier than the guns I own.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

I thought Pa Ingalls settled these issues long ago in Little House in the Big Woods:

little house in the big woods.jpg

The Ingalls family eventually moved to the Little House on the Prairie, but Pa Ingalls didn't change his security practices:

little house on the praire.jpg

Eating to get strong is the theme of the book in the series, Farmer Boy, so that should be the real favorite of this forum:

Almanzo Wilder meal.jpg

No guns in the UK but I got a big ass hammer under the bed

starting strength coach development program
    And if you use it to defend yourself, you are arrested for assault. You poor bastards, it's over. Can't you see that?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast