starting strength gym

Thread: A Question About Your "The Belt and the Deadlift" Article

Default A Question About Your "The Belt and the Deadlift" Article

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Rip,

Long time lurker on the forums, but a question popped into my head and I don't think was brought up in the original article's comments so I decided to sign up and ask. I was rereading your article "The Belt and the Deadlift" (The Belt and the Deadlift | T NATION) and was wondering if your observation about people not being able to get into the correct lumbar position could be attributed to being a motor moron rather than just being an inherent problem of using a 4-inch belt.

I've been watching lifters who look like they're achieving correct extension with 4 inch belts, but also aren't exceptionally tall or look like they have a long torso such as: Mark Bell (Talking Deadlifts with Mike T | SuperTraining.TV - YouTube @ 06:00 and 08:35), Mike T(Using the lats in your deadlift - YouTube), and Omar Isuf (My Simple Approach To Stronger Deadlifts - YouTube @ 3:15). My assessment of their torso length or degree of extension could be off, but I think they are displaying good lumbar awareness.

Does your statement come from the experience that switching belt widths more readily solves the problem, or would it be productive as well to help a lifter focus on fixing faulty proprioceptive feedback?

Thanks for your time.

I don't work with 2000+ total powerlifters, who probably have above-average kinesthetic ability. As I mentioned in the article, the 3" belt solves problems of back extension for the majority of lifters who are prevented from feeling a good low-back position by the wide belt. The 3" belt is not a substitute for correct position coaching.