starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow tendonitis: Chin up protocol

Default Elbow tendonitis: Chin up protocol

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been doing the protocol for tennis elbow for 3 weeks - so I have now done 5 sessions.
    Working my way up from 25 sets of 3 to 30 sets of 5 with the advised rest between sets
    Once every 4/5days
    And not doing any other upper work in the meantime
    I'm havent been experiencing any pain during the chins but am getting elbow soreness for a day or 2 after.
    Should I continue with the protocol and would it be ok to return to other upper body work?
    Thanks in advance!

If you have actual tendonitis, the last sets of the chinups should hurt. And by the 5th workout most people report that the issue has resolved. I think you're doing something wrong.

Thanks for the response
    In terms of the diagnosis I'm pretty sure its tennis elbow (I've been to physio a few times who also diagnosed the same)
    I tend to only feel discomfort during exercise if I am using an overhand grip and I have soreness at the insertion point and extensors.
    Should I try increasing the load re chins?

Are we not supposed to train the bench and ohp at all while doing the chins protocol? I went back to the podcast clip about the process (How To Heal Golfer's Elbow - Starting Strength Radio Clips - YouTube) where the recommendation is to do the routine for "about four or five workouts", which to me means you hold everything else constant (pain permitting). Likewise, the article on the website (Elbow Tendonitis: How It Occurs and What to Do About It | Jordan Burnett) doesn't seem to recommend altering the other lifts or the rest in between. Am I missing something?

I've been struggling with tennis elbow for a few months. Found this treatment method a few weeks ago and implemented. A full set of chins for me is just 5, so my first day I did 1x10, then 1x15 the next time in, then 1x20 the next time in, then 1x15 + 2x5 for two consecutive days, all of this after my normal NLP lifts. By the fifth day, my pain was greatly reduced and could bench uninhibited. Unfortunately the following day in, I tried cleans for the first time since starting the chinup protocol, and they ate my elbow to pieces, to the point that I think I need to restart the treatment.

So maybe I'm not doing the chinup stuff correctly--just didn't recall reading/watching to cease bench and ohp while treating elbow tendonitis.

I have never suggested that you put the rest of your training on hold while you do this.