starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RPE And How It's Ineffective - Starting Strength Radio Previews

Default RPE And How It's Ineffective - Starting Strength Radio Previews

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

To watch the full podcast Friday, subscribe here: Starting Strength Network

Perfect timing, as my bench warmups were feeling like shit. I don't use RPE, so not trying the planned weight wasn't an option. But even before walking out into the garage, I was thinking of reasons to not do it. Yet I'm doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Anders View Post
    Perfect timing, as my bench warmups were feeling like shit. I don't use RPE, so not trying the planned weight wasn't an option. But even before walking out into the garage, I was thinking of reasons to not do it. Yet I'm doing it.
    There is nothing more satisfying than getting that fifth rep when you know you really, really didn’t want to. When you weren’t sure you could, but you did.

Sounds right. Squats are ok, but as my deadlift has been approaching 400, I'm, looking for all sorts of reasons to drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    There is nothing more satisfying than getting that fifth rep when you know you really, really didn’t want to. When you weren’t sure you could, but you did.
    Truth.

My wife got home after my workout and she asked how it went. As I was telling her about my warmups and how I was feeling at the time, she looked me in the eye and asked "What would Rip say?"

I'd say listening to someone talk about RPE is a conversational RPE of 10 for me. Akin to crossfit, veganism, and bicycling.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivey View Post
    I'd say listening to someone talk about RPE is a conversational RPE of 10 for me. Akin to crossfit, veganism, and bicycling.
    X2.

I have a 3YO and 6month old baby. It’s possible to still train, but you have to have a lot of order and the right priorities.

Truth.

My wife got home after my workout and she asked how it went. As I was telling her about my warmups and how I was feeling at the time, she looked me in the eye and asked "What would Rip say?"
    hahaha I got Rip's voice permanently burned into my head. "Light weights feel easier", "Why don't you load enough weight to not be a pussy" and shit like that.

Most of us agree that RPE is bad programming for all the obvious reasons.

I also think “volume” is a close cousin for a lot of the same reasons.

Anyone else consider this? Nick?

starting strength coach development program
    Another perk of having a garage gym.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast