starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Medical Scene In The Exorcist - Starting Strength Radio Previews

Default The Medical Scene In The Exorcist - Starting Strength Radio Previews

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

To watch the full podcast this Friday, subscribe here: Starting Strength Network

As a bit of a horror aficionado, I can't wait for this episode. I've never seen The Exorcist, probably one of the only classic horror films I haven't seen yet. Also, regarding Scream, it wasn't just a slasher film, it was a meta deconstruction of the slasher genre, and horror in general. It's characters were self-aware that they were in a horror film, and the film commented on and subverted many of the common tropes of the slasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan DCNT View Post
    As a bit of a horror aficionado, I can't wait for this episode. I've never seen The Exorcist, probably one of the only classic horror films I haven't seen yet. Also, regarding Scream, it wasn't just a slasher film, it was a meta deconstruction of the slasher genre, and horror in general. It's characters were self-aware that they were in a horror film, and the film commented on and subverted many of the common tropes of the slasher.
    I mean this tongue in cheek, but if you haven’t watched The Exorcist, then you are not a horror aficionado. You need to watch this as a horror film, as a piece of great cinematography, film sound and masterful direction. Ellen Burstyn was robbed of an Oscar. Dude, watch the director’s cut.

Plus the greatest movie poster in history (the original with father Merrin stepping out of the cab…

Quote Originally Posted by johnst_nhb View Post
    I mean this tongue in cheek, but if you haven’t watched The Exorcist, then you are not a horror aficionado.
    True statement.

Wait, they went into her carotid? I don't remember that, but haven't seen the movie in 20-something years

However, I have to call bullshit if they're saying they actually needled her carotid. Angio's are done generally thru the femoral or brachial artery

Quote Originally Posted by simon0596 View Post
    Wait, they went into her carotid? I don't remember that, but haven't seen the movie in 20-something years

However, I have to call bullshit if they're saying they actually needled her carotid. Angio's are done generally thru the femoral or brachial artery
    Two points.

1) I agree that carotid cannulation is not common today, especially for a cerebral arteriogram. However, it used to be somewhat common and I have no doubt it was more common in 1973.

2) Watching it again, it's pretty clear to me that no actress was cannulated in the movie. If you watch it, the actual needle insertion into the carotid isn't actually seen. The frame where the Seldinger over-a-wire-cannulation technique is actually performed and Linda Blair's face is visible was certainly an illusion whereby a catheter taped to the right side of her neck had stage blood pumped through it.

Cannulation scene

The stagecraft and the detail of the doctor actually jabbing the needle in along with the quick cut to Blair wincing was stunning. I believe that a number of audience members throughout the country reportedly vomited or fainted during this scene. As a high school kid watching in a big, Westwood LA theatre (in the days of real theatres), I LOVED that scene even although it completely grossed me out.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    …As a high school kid watching in a big, Westwood LA theatre (in the days of real theatres), I LOVED that scene even although it completely grossed me out.
    You were a doctor from the beginning.

I saw “The Exorcist” original in the theater. My dad wanted to see it but didn’t want to go by himself. I was 12(?). It was so viscerally horrific that the second time, with my older brother, I figured out how to discretely close my eyes .

I just revisited that physical reaction watching the discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by VNV View Post
    You were a doctor from the beginning.
    Actually it was seeing Fantastic Voyage and watching them pick off "antibodies" from Raquel Welsh's tight wetsuit-clad body that made me want to be a doctor.

That movie also made nine-year-old me feel "funny" inside.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    That movie also made nine-year-old me feel "funny" inside.
    Activation of the anti-anti-bodies. Save Raquel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast