starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lots of records falling.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by novicejay View Post
    If Coach Rippetoe hasn't taught you to educate yourself at this point by reading books, including all of his, then I don't know what to tell you as you have missed the entire point of this forum.

It is exactly why he has difficulty having conversations with people who ask questions but have not read the books, i.e., he knows the conversation is pointless because the person is ignorant of the subject matter. Thus, he usually does not answer and says read the book.

However, I assume most of us are on this forum because we enjoy educating ourselves, and one of the first things I ask high-level people is: what books have you read that have had the most impact on you? I do that because I want to get better and gain knowledge.
    Spare me your insufferable attitude.

Why should I read your book? I have a hundred books on my backlog. My point is that vaguely alluding to a book, without any explanation of what that book says, is a complete conversational dead-end. To contribute to the conversation, summarize a relevant argument that the book makes. Just saying "nobody on here knows shit, you have to read this book" is just pretentious and useless.

This is completely different than discussing Rippetoe's book on the forum specifically dedicated to discussing Rippetoe's book. You are not Rippetoe and nobody knows or cares about what books you have read and nobody will buy and read a book you suggest just because you tell them to if you don't even give them a reason. If you actually read the book then you should be able to present a synopsis which is relevant to the conversation at hand, rather than just telling people they can't comment unless they have read the same book as you.

If Coach Rippetoe hasn't taught you to educate yourself at this point by reading books, including all of his, then I don't know what to tell you as you have missed the entire point of this forum.

It is exactly why he has difficulty having conversations with people who ask questions but have not read the books, i.e., he knows the conversation is pointless because the person is ignorant of the subject matter. Thus, he usually does not answer and says read the book.

However, I assume most of us are on this forum because we enjoy educating ourselves, and one of the first things I ask high-level people is: what books have you read that have had the most impact on you? I do that because I want to get better and gain knowledge.
    You could have pitched the book a little.

Quote Originally Posted by rever View Post
    Spare me your insufferable attitude.

Why should I read your book? I have a hundred books on my backlog. My point is that vaguely alluding to a book, without any explanation of what that book says, is a complete conversational dead-end. To contribute to the conversation, summarize a relevant argument that the book makes. Just saying "nobody on here knows shit, you have to read this book" is just pretentious and useless.

This is completely different than discussing Rippetoe's book on the forum specifically dedicated to discussing Rippetoe's book. You are not Rippetoe and nobody knows or cares about what books you have read and nobody will buy and read a book you suggest just because you tell them to if you don't even give them a reason. If you actually read the book then you should be able to present a synopsis which is relevant to the conversation at hand, rather than just telling people they can't comment unless they have read the same book as you.
    This isn't my book. It is the book written by the "Godfather" of how you become an expert at nearly anything.

It appears you are offended for some odd reason. I have no idea why. Most people appreciate reading books the educate them on a subject. But, if not, that is okay.

I can tell you that Coach Rippetoe has either read that book or the research surrounding it, including the list that I posted long ago, as he says and writes things that are nearly identical to what is in that book.

But, let me give you an example:

Starting Strength is a weightlifting program book that you just add a little weight to the squat, deadlift, press, and clean. Would that adequately discuss the book? No. Could we have a discussion based upon that? No. Again, any discussion would be pointless.

What book have I read?

I’m only here for Rips economy of words

Starting Strength is a weightlifting program book that you just add a little weight to the squat, deadlift, press, and clean. Would that adequately discuss the book? No. Could we have a discussion based upon that? No. Again, any discussion would be pointless.
    You would be the worst copywriter ever. Try this as a short summary: Starting strength is a book that describes how to get strong as fast as possible by using five or six basic exercises - the squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and power clean and power snatch. It promotes exploiting what is termed The Novice Effect, which is applying the principle of biological adaptation to stress to the fact that the basic exercises, if incrementally loaded with five more pounds per workout, build strength, size and muscle much faster than more complex programs with more numerous exercises and advanced periodization. Now we have something to talk about if we are dealing with someone who hasn't read the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What book have I read?
    Coach, my educated guess based on how you talk and what you write is you have read books or research related to how people acquire expertise such as:

Peak
    Talent Is Overrated
    The Talent Code
    The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance
    The Road To Excellence: The Acquisition of Expert Performance in the Arts and Sciences, Sports, and Games

As I said, I made a long list in another thread about this somewhere.

You talk and write like Olympians I have trained with or talked to and lots of them have read these books or similar ones.

The article you linked in this thread is just one example.

Here is one that you say in a different way like what one of my instructors says (minus the talent part but I understand the context of what you mean):

Anaerobic endurance, like most team sports employ and the kind of thing team conditioning work develops, is an almost pointless activity after a short period of time. Once it is established, and for every field position regardless of the precise demands of the conditioning requirement for that position, field practice and performance maintains it quite effectively.

Lineman, forward, or goalie, if you're practicing the sport and performing the sport in competition, you're not only "in shape" for the sport, you're using the precise skills you need to develop under exactly the metabolic conditions they'll be used.

This process can be efficiently accelerated for a week or two at the beginning of the season for unconditioned, lazy athletes who show up out of shape, because conditioning comes on fast. And it doesn't go away as long as you keep doing it.

After that, it's pretty much just grandstanding. Sprints, sleds, calisthenics, and trendy CrossFit couplets are easy to coach, stopwatches and whistles look awfully coach-like, and your already-talented athletes derive no skill improvement from what is necessarily a low-skill high-intensity work exposure – if it is high-skill, you can't display the skill component with a 190 heart rate and maximum respiration rate. And they're already in shape, because they got that way almost immediately.

Your points are correct, Jay, but I haven't read any of these books.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    You would be the worst copywriter ever. Try this as a short summary: Starting strength is a book that describes how to get strong as fast as possible by using five or six basic exercises - the squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press and power clean and power snatch. It promotes exploiting what is termed The Novice Effect, which is applying the principle of biological adaptation to stress to the fact that the basic exercises, if incrementally loaded with five more pounds per workout, build strength, size and muscle much faster than more complex programs with more numerous exercises and advanced periodization. Now we have something to talk about if we are dealing with someone who hasn't read the books.
    And no intelligent conversation could happen.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your points are correct, Jay, but I haven't read any of these books.
    I can tell you that it is stunning to me that you have not because, as I said, you write and talk like the Olympians and the people that wrote these books about how they get good. It is eerily similar. That quote above from you was when I knew I finally found someone who knew about how to lift weights correctly. As in martial arts, I spent years lifting and felt so stupid due to my ignorance of how it was supposed to be done correctly. The exact same thing happened in martial arts - it wasn't until I was around and trained with actual high-level people that I understood what it really was and wasted decades doing it wrong.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast