starting strength gym

Thread: Best NLP lifts

Default Best NLP lifts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Rip, it has probably been answered before, but what are the best sets of 5 you have seen from someone on the NLP?
    Cheers.

Squats in the 500s, presses in the 200s, benches in the high 300s, deadlifts in the high 500s.

Thanks Rip.

Guess I need to start eating more.

What’s the highest you’ve ever seen from somebody on their first day, walking in with no previous training?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Squats in the 500s, presses in the 200s, benches in the high 300s, deadlifts in the high 500s.
    Some egos just got deflated. Some of us mortals however will be inspired by what a few rare humans are capable accomplishing.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Some egos just got deflated. Some of us mortals however will be inspired by what a few rare humans are capable accomplishing.
    Why would egos get deflated on hearing about somebody’s better numbers? I don’t think many people on here got into lifting because we were expecting to become the strongest guy in town. Plus 99 percent of us would get closer to these numbers if we had actually done the program. I sure as hell know I haven’t.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Don't beat yourself up over it. I try not to. The LP is also really good at jogging muscle memory and taking it further. That's why the standing advice to people who have longer layoffs from training is to just start the whole thing over again, and eventually they will LP to new lifelong PRs. Many people who end up with big lifts on it probably have prior lifting experience. Others just have the right genetic gifts. But you shouldn't kick yourself for not LPing a squat to 500 or something. Instead do what you need to do to keep training and get there one day. Concentrate on how far you've come, and how far you're gonna keep going. That's how I look at it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderFun View Post
    Don't beat yourself up over it. I try not to. The LP is also really good at jogging muscle memory and taking it further. That's why the standing advice to people who have longer layoffs from training is to just start the whole thing over again, and eventually they will LP to new lifelong PRs. Many people who end up with big lifts on it probably have prior lifting experience. Others just have the right genetic gifts. But you shouldn't kick yourself for not LPing a squat to 500 or something. Instead do what you need to do to keep training and get there one day. Concentrate on how far you've come, and how far you're gonna keep going. That's how I look at it.
    I agree to some extent, however:
    I ran LP four years ago at age 48 and topped out at 205 kg for 5 reps (451 lbs) in the squat. I'm now 6 weeks into LP again and have reached 170 kg (374 lb) and it feels so much more difficult. I guess those few years make a difference. I'm still planning on surpassing 205 kg though.

Keith