starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The One Way to Make Power Go Up - Starting Strength Radio Previews

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    We had to put our Very Good GirlTM down a few months ago. Saw it coming a long ways off and prepped emotionally, but the first thing I saw afterwards was her empty food bowl (save the two pieces of kibble she didn't finish - that image is still seared in my brain). That put me on a cleaning frenzy for about an hour before I finally lost it.

I haven't lost my father specifically, but based on other family losses, the pain is orthogonal to losing a dog. Losing a family member and losing a dog simply aren't measurable to each other.

The unconditional love a dog provides cannot be duplicated and when you lose one it’s horrible

I cry a flood every time one of my dogs die

Fwiw getting a new dog to care for you will help lessen the pain

Quote Originally Posted by bobman View Post
    The unconditional love a dog provides cannot be duplicated and when you lose one it’s horrible

I cry a flood every time one of my dogs die

Fwiw getting a new dog to care for you will help lessen the pain
    Yes to that.

Here she is a little more than a year ago, I thought I had a good 5 left with her.

IMG_0012.jpg
    Betsie, Nov 23, 2009 - July 12, 2021

She went quickly. Within a few days she was listless, and started to self-isolate. An x-ray and fluid draw showed her thoracic cavity was full of blood, and lungs were compressed to 1/3 size.

It helped that I buried her, and made a small gravesite. I plan to put perennials inside the stones (Jacob's ladder?), and engrave the headstone.

IMG_0504.jpg

We did get a second dog Feb 16 (8 w.o.). It was for my daughters, but turned out to be for me. This fellow keeps me from looking backwards too often.

theo_mazda.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
    … the first thing I saw afterwards was her empty food bowl (save the two pieces of kibble she didn't finish - that image is still seared in my brain). That put me on a cleaning frenzy for about an hour before I finally lost it…
    Exactly. This doesn’t go away. But you change some. We collect different kinds of losses through life.

Hahaha look at the little guy, why so serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan Dragisic View Post
    I would very much like to see you take up this kind of tone with me if we were talking face to face instead of online.
    I'll take whatever tone I please with you pal. Even better if you were here in front of me right now. I've got two dogs by the way and there is no way their lives are equivalent to a human life, especially a close family member. Did your father beat you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    He doesn't understand about dogs. Losing your father as a kid is different than losing your father as an adult, obviously. But he still doesn't understand about dogs.
    Since you didn't publish my earlier response to tough guy Jovan (and yes I would use that tone right to your face son), I'll try again. I have had pets all my near 60 year life. I have two lovable dogs currently. Would I be sad if they died, of course. Would I be sadder or more affected if a close family member (father/mother wife/kid) died yes. Most people would say the same thing I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I'll take whatever tone I please with you pal. Even better if you were here in front of me right now. I've got two dogs by the way and there is no way their lives are equivalent to a human life, especially a close family member. Did your father beat you?
    No, but my mom did. Frying pans were the favorite. Look, you decided to interrupt a perfectly normal conversation in which people were trying to console one another about the loss of a pet, and you did that by being extremely rude. Instead of continuing the argument, try doing some soul searching.

Hey, dudes! An outside observers perspective. this is an emotional subject, but allow me to observe, as someone who lost a dog as a child, has one now, and lost his father to medically assisted suicide a couple years ago ( i was in the room with him, boy does that scramble a guys brain, but you do these things for people you love), you are both right. There IS no wrong answer here. And my father did beat me a few times, so what? Any way this could be brought down a notch? agree to disagree and all that? Sorry if its none of my business.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Kalin View Post
    agree to disagree and all that?
    Dunno, I don't have a personal desire to agree or disagree with anyone on the topic of death. Mainly because I never claimed losing a dog is harder than losing a person, I just said I took it harder.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast