starting strength gym

Thread: Hip

Default Hip

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi rip

I cracked a rib a few months ago from wearing a belt incorrectly. At that point i was squatting 3 sets of 5 at 137kg.
    Anyway I didnt squat for 3 weeks but then it got better and i started squatting again, easing back into it starting at lighter weights.

About the 3rd session back doing squats i was doing 125kg. at the bottom of the last rep of the 3rd set i felt a pop in my right hip. It hurt a bit but not terrible.

But, the next session i couldnt even squat the empty bar without a bad sharp pain in the hip. So i waited a week and tried again. Same thing. waited 2 weeks and tried again. same thing.

Then the gyms closed for lockdown so i had a few weeks off. during this time i went to a physiotherapist (just once) and she didnt seem to have much idea what was wrong. She massaged it, and showed me some hip flexor stretches to do. But i never did them because i thought stretching hip flexors isnt something people should do?

Now ive bought a bunch of gear for the garage. 2 days ago i tried squats. Empty bar was fine. 50kg was slight pain...then 70kg was the same terrible pain as a couple of months ago.

I can deadlift, press, and bench press fine. The hip doesnt hurt during these exercises. The hip also doesnt hurt when im walking around etc outside the gym.

My squat form isnt perfect but its not too bad. Sometimes i lift my chest out of the bottom, and sometimes i dont bend over quite enough. But im not doing anything differently from when i was squatting 137kg pain free.

What should i do? This has fucked up all my progress. I honestly dont know what's wrong. I know you arent a big fan of physiotherapists, but what else can i do? Should i be stretching my hip flexor? Should i get an x ray? Do you know what that pop in my hip might have been? And why would all this be happening when i used to be able to squat much heavier without pain?

Thanks a lot.

PS i know theres not much you can do from the other side of the world but i just thought id ask. Most physios, personal trainers etc dont seem to even know anything about low bar squats so i feel noone is any use here.

You need a diagnosis. If you don't know what's wrong, how to you fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You need a diagnosis. If you don't know what's wrong, how to you fix it?
    Agreed. It's a strange presentation. You need a diagnosis if possible although it's very hard for me to imagine an acute hip injury that would selectively cause pain with squats but none with walking or deadlift!

Start with hip X-Rays to rule out some kind of bony disruption (fracture/dislocation) although a lot of PCPs and orthos would go straight to guns and get an MRI to identify soft tissue pathology. I'm guessing you're in the UK where you might end up starting with an X-Ray anyway (use of term physiotherapist)?

Love to see what Will Morris has to say about this strange (at least to me) case.

Quote Originally Posted by JFord View Post
    Agreed. It's a strange presentation. You need a diagnosis if possible although it's very hard for me to imagine an acute hip injury that would selectively cause pain with squats but none with walking or deadlift!

Start with hip X-Rays to rule out some kind of bony disruption (fracture/dislocation) although a lot of PCPs and orthos would go straight to guns and get an MRI to identify soft tissue pathology. I'm guessing you're in the UK where you might end up starting with an X-Ray anyway (use of term physiotherapist)?

Love to see what Will Morris has to say about this strange (at least to me) case.
    I'd have to agree with Dr. Ford that a radiograph is likely to be of some help to at least rule out a bony abnormality. That said, can you provide some additional details as far as the symptoms you are feeling. The "hip" is a large area, and most of the common pathologies in the hip will present with some characteristic patterns that would help us assist you in navigating the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    I'd have to agree with Dr. Ford that a radiograph is likely to be of some help to at least rule out a bony abnormality. That said, can you provide some additional details as far as the symptoms you are feeling. The "hip" is a large area, and most of the common pathologies in the hip will present with some characteristic patterns that would help us assist you in navigating the issue.
    Will, you actually take histories from patients? I try never to talk to them unless it has to do with getting paid. I especially don’t ever touch ‘em.